Failed Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin's computer has been brutally injured. :D

Upon startup, multiple rundll32.exe errors occur. These errors also occur when trying to play about 75% of the games installed on his computer. In addition, explorer.exe has to be started manually every time the computer is booted by using Task Manager.

I backed-up everything important and tried to use the built-in Recovery feature included (it's an e-Machine), but when trying to boot to that I got a blue screen of death preventing that. Then I attempted a normal system restore, but it failed as well: "Unable to restore computer to selected restore point."

He didn't make the backup CDs that you're supposed to make when you first get the computer, so that's not an option.

HijackThis log is included, thanks in advance for your help.

What model of eMachine.
Restoring to early restore point are so flawed that it is difficult to say that is the main problem.
Have you tried reinstalling all the drivers from downloads?
You can buy a new restore disk set from eMachine if the computer is not too old. About $30.

Thanks for your reply. The model number is T5048, and it is less than one year old, so it's good to hear that we can probably get a new restore disk set if all else fails.

I forgot to mention one of the other problems: When trying to access System, Add/Remove Programs, or My Computer Properties, I get the rundll32.exe 0xc0000005 error.

We repair a large number of eMachines, and we have never had trouble ordering the disk set. You need the information from the label on the back of the machine, and a credit card. All our disk sets have cost between $27 and $32.
Just do it by telephone. They don't respond to online disk orders. But are very helpful on the phone.
And they only work on the machine for which they are ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back