Failed to connect to a Windows service...

Hi

For a while now i have been getting the following error message after starting up my laptop ( Failed to connect to a windows service: Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrator user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond.')

The laptop is very slow to startup, and i get a black screen for about 4-5 mins before windows opens, i then get the above message and my areo functions stop working. I have done scans (i use kaspersky) and defragged and cleaned the registry, but nothing unusual comes up. I would be grateful for any help in resolving this matter.

Im using a Toshiba Laptop, and running Windows 7 professional.
AMD sempron (tm) 51-42 2.10 GHZ
RAM 1.00GB (766mb usable)

I just ran the troubleshooter for Aero Effect and the following problems were found;
The Current theme does'nt support Aero (Not Fixed)
Desktop Windows Manager is disabled (detected)

For Windows 7 professional, I think 2Gb memory is a realistic minimum configuration. 1Gb would be too low, and would cause the hard drive to be used as memory quite a lot, which would certainly account for how slow the laptop is. Aero will definitely not work, and should automatically disable itself at 1Gb memory.

Whether that could also cause the event notification service not to start I cannot say. You could open the control panel, start administrative tools and double-click 'services'. In that vast list that opens, System event Notification is one service. Basically, all you can do is check that it is set to 'startup type' automatic, and at the time you look at it, it should be showing 'started'.

I would suspect there are also a lot of other services that are not running (possibly because of memory limitations which has caused them to fail to start). Something tells me you may have been 'messing about where Angels fear to tread' ! I can sympathise to an extent when you will clearly find your PC, of which you expected so much, is heavily handicapped by insufficient memory. Go for 4Gb if you can.

Depends on your finances. You should find the model of chips and resource the same thing from the likes of Crucial to see how much 4Gb would cost. Crucial has an app that will determine suitable chips for you.

I would recommend, as I already said, at least 2Gb, and whether you run to 4Gb depends not only on cost, but how old the laptop is, how necessary you feel the aero interface is to you, whether you want to do gaming and so forth.

You dont appear to have checked the startup status of services as I requested, and unless you do, (or maybe even if you do), there can be no guarantee that low memory is entirely the root of your problem.

You could try disabling all your services in your system configuration.
Then restart and re-enable them and see if that doesn't resolve the
problem.

1g with a partitioned paging file should be enough.

Run msconfig from the start menu. Check the start tab, a fresh install of windows shouldn't have any services, but through time people will quickly fill that up by installing hardware drivers and software ( whether you know it or not ). Deselect EVERYTHING and restart.

Recheck the ones you do want to start with the pc. After it fires back up again. That might help.

Thanks for all your replies so far.

I have checked the startup status of services, and it is set to Automatic. I have also tried disabling all my services in my system configuration, restarted the laptop and enabled them all again, Ive also done the same with the start up programs.

But there has been no change and the laptop runs the same..

I was just looking for a solution to a very similar problem on my computer. My computer also runs very slowly, especially on the startup. I have tried many things but haven't found out how to fix it or what is causing it to happen.

fail to connect windows service

i am having same prob as you..
i did same as some1 answered in first post . there ws two kind of errors in events
first 1 ws critical nd second on ws just error.
error code was 7001. the error was coming bcz of my lan driver..

Back