"Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed."

I have been having this issue for about 2 weeks now. Ive literally tried everything including uninstalling/reinstalling network card, restore points (there are none), a windows update download, and reformatting the hard drive (wont let me). Any help is appreciated. I cant afford a new pc or any new hardware at this time.

failed to query tcp/ip settings of the connection
what did you do when this occurred?

Describe network equipment {modem, router} ISP, and your system.

Connect it all together, get a command prompt, enter ipconfig /all >myTcp.txt
and come back here and paste the contents of myTcp.txt as your reply

I simply started up my computer to find that i could no longer connect. i am using a D-Link router with comcast

I am using a Dell desktop runiing windows XP Media Center Edition version 2002 service pack 3. Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4cpu 3.00GHZ 3.62GB of Ram

and when i type in ipconfig/all it doesnt give me any response except a line that says "Windows IP Configuration"

if im missing something i apologize. not extremly tech savvy. My network adapter is a Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Looks like the network drivers are fouled; right-click My Computer->Manage->Device Manager
Find the Network Adapters and double-click.

now look for 'Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network'; double-click on it;
DOES IT SAY 'This device is working properly'?

It does, and it says its up to date. however i still cant connect to the internet and when i click repair thats when it shows me the "failed to query..." message

start->run->cmd enter runas /user:administrator cmd
give the Admin pwd and you get a command window running under the admin login

now try IPCONFIG /ALL to see if you get anything

If nothing, the issue netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and reboot

ran the admin prompt and the ipconfig/all but still only got the one line of text saying "Windows IP Configuration"

ran the netsh int reset line and rebooted.

still no luck with the net. I can tell u that the connection, while saying its connected and working fine, has no Address Type, IP address, subnet mask, or default Gateway. Dont really know what that means, but i know not having an IP address isnt right :p

Dont really know what that means, but i know not having an IP address isnt right :p
correct.

A) is your firwall active(should be) and which one is it?
B) please name all Antivirus software installed and active.

Try connecting your system directly to the Modem w/o the router
Modem --> System

My firewall is active and it says its the windows firewall. I did have that whole "windows xp security 2012 virus" a while back, but found how to remove it online and did that. Actually thats about when all this started. Anyways, yes windows firewall active, and i have avast as my antivirus.

I did the direct connect to the modem and it still didnt like it.

*Actually, i cant find Avast on my pc or in the add/remove programs menu. yet its still running in the toolbar and i can open it and scan. Could this be a virus?

*Actually, i cant find Avast on my pc or in the add/remove programs menu. yet its still running in the toolbar and i can open it and scan. Could this be a virus?
not good - -should show in Control Panel -> Add Remove (mine is Avast! Free Antivirus)

btw: Using Firefox, AVAST! doesn't show in the browser.

recommend fresh download and reinstall of Avast!

i actually meant in the toolbar on the desktop. Haha. But yea. ill try to download it on the laptop and transfer it over. Should it just replace the old Avast instillation? assuming there is one?

Same problem here

My machine suffered the same for the first time 2 weeks ago have tried all the optins but all to no avail .. help please anyone

The issue is a corrupted tcpip.sys. You will need your Install CD to perform this fix and must be logged on as an Admin.

1) disconnect from your router (wired or wifi)

2) find all instances of tcpip.sys
On XP/Pro I found two:
\windows\erdnt\cache
\windows\system32\drivers​

3) rename each from tcpip.sys -> tcpip.sys.old

now start->run->cmd and enter SFC /SCANNOW

when done, reboot

lost router

Thanks all .. I found this fix earlier that works.

Click START then RUN. You will then see a box to type in. Delete whatever in in there and type CMD. Then click OK.
Type in :-
netsh winsock reset
Then press ENTER and restart your computer.

Next, repeat the first part of the previous step.
(Click START then RUN. You will then see a box to type in. Delete whatever in in there and type CMD. Then click OK.)
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Then press ENTER and restart your computer again.

You should now be able to connect to your router.

The issue is a corrupted tcpip.sys. You will need your Install CD to perform this fix and must be logged on as an Admin.

1) disconnect from your router (wired or wifi)

2) find all instances of tcpip.sys
On XP/Pro I found two:
\windows\erdnt\cache
\windows\system32\drivers​

3) rename each from tcpip.sys -> tcpip.sys.old

now start->run->cmd and enter SFC /SCANNOW

when done, reboot

would like to try this step, except my pc was given to me and i dont have the install CD and my disc drives dont work lol. i got 2 of them in and they both have power but neither will read for sum reason. Whole nother issue though. lol

Click START then RUN. You will then see a box to type in. Delete whatever in in there and type CMD. Then click OK.
netsh winsock reset

(Click START then RUN. You will then see a box to type in. Delete whatever in in there and type CMD. Then click OK.)

didnt work. but good effort :D

got the cd from the person that gave me the pc, but when i try to boot from disc, it wont detect the drive. While in the setup menu, it does detect the drive.

oops; Didn't suggest booting from it.

Disconnect from the internet & boot normally.
get a command prompt and enter SFC /SCANNOW (there's a space after SFC).

Insert the CD when asked

"Please wait while windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions."

could u just verify that this is what was suppose to happen. looks like it could take awhile. haha

Code:

netsh winsock reset

I followed above steps and Its worked for me.

Thank you so much !!

Thanks Peter .. this fix posted by worked for me too ...

netsh winsock reset

lost router

netsh winsock reset

Worked for me for the very same error and system's connecting fine now.
In retrospect, I had also uninstalled Bitdefender internet security among other software (HP printer s/ware, iTunes, etc.) when this happened.

Cheers Peter, and thanks!(y)

Quirino

Back