'Fallout 4' to get high-res texture pack on PC, official PlayStation 4 Pro support next...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Bethesda on Monday revealed that beginning next week, it’ll be rolling out a high-resolution texture pack for the PC version of Fallout 4. Official support for Sony’s PlayStation 4 Pro is also in the pipeline, we’re told.

The developer described the high-res texture pack as a “love letter” to its amazing PC fans that have supported them not just with Fallout 4, but across multiple decades and games. The free download will require an additional 58GB of storage and more importantly, some beefy hardware under the hood.

Bethesda recommends an Intel Core i7-5820K or better CPU, a GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card, at least 8GB of RAM and a 64-bit version of Windows 7/8/10. If your system can handle it, Bethesda says the Commonwealth will look better than ever.

Should things not run smoothly after the update, you’ll be able to revert back to the original textures via the game’s launcher.

Official support for the PlayStation 4 Pro is also coming next week. Update 1.9 is said to harness the power of the console by delivering native 1440p resolution, enhanced draw distance for trees, grass, objects and NPCs as well as enhanced Godray effects.

Bethesda also teased a Skyrim Special Edition update bringing new features to Mod content but we’ll have to wait until next week for further details.

Permalink to story.

Recommending GTX 1080 graphics card... wow... never really got into the game, but now I figure I need to check it out again with the new textures....

I don't know how they can justify that size. What is it already, 30gb? Plus another 58 now? Not even Doom with its megatextures needs that much space.

The game desperately needs this as it looks very very awful. Even Stalker COP looks better and even more so with mods.

Gonna wait for some comparision shots but since the game itself is also weak... not gonna bother.

It will certainly be nice, but I would hope they would add a bit more functionality to it as well. Still, I'm having a heck of a lot of fun playing it and hope they will come up with a 5th edition soon .....

Other sites quoted from the official statement besides GTX1080 as being recommended - RX 490 - so, RX 490 confirmed by textures pack !

http://wccftech.com/fallout-4-high-...k-playstation-4-pro-support-launch-next-week/

No.

Update January 30, 2017: For a brief second it looked like fresh rumours of an RX 490 were about to surface as Bethesda announced the high-res texture pack for Fallout 4 with an 8GB RX 490 as one of the recommended GPUs.

The AMD RX 490 is unlikely to ever see the light of day under that name, but check out our guide to the upcoming AMD Vega GPU architecture for a taste of what it might become...

The errant card was listed alongside the GTX 1080, but the Radeon listing has now been removed from the site and it now reads:

Recommended PC Specs:

Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i7-5820K or better
GTX 1080 8GB
8GB+ Ram

And just like when Skyrim got a HD texpack, it will be remarkably underwhelming and won't even scratch the surface of what mods published within the first month of the games release did.

Wow... I never was a Fallout fan but I may have to check this out. The Bethesda website isn't working, maybe too high of a load?

the size is perfectly justified and megatextures are something different.

At that size I'm expecting a generational leap in looks, rather than sharper or slightly more detailed looking textures.

At that size I'm expecting a generational leap in looks, rather than sharper or slightly more detailed looking textures.
Not sure why you'd be expecting that..... this is just a boost in resolution, not a redesign of the game's graphics...

There must be a lot of surfaces in the game that need textures drawn on them. A 58GB texture pack is huge - are we talking 4K resolutions on everything including characters? Alas my PC isn't strong enough to find out.

At 58GB it should be justified with clearly marked improvements, especially with the sudden hike for system requirements.

Unfortunately it barely makes a difference as I feared.
http://gearnuke.com/fallout-4-hd-texture-pack-screenshot-comparison-barely-shows-improvement/

Since when does size equate to quality? (I await the inevitable pen1s joke to follow)

This is a FREE update - expecting anything substantial is a bit of a stretch...

And while it may "barely show improvement" in a still screenshot (and one most likely being viewed on a 1080p or 1440p monitor), they might look nicer when viewing it while actually playing - I'd like to see video capture comparisons at 4k...

Got a busy week - but I'll be trying it soon... will see if there are any real differences...

Back