Fan is loud

benedrix

Hello ,

my mobo has 2 cpu fan ports, and I have 3 fans. So I have to use a splitter from one of the fans. The problem is I think the splitter makes the mobo unable to control the fan speeds of the fan which has been split from. But im not sure. Any ideas on what I can do?

thanks

Why do you want to connect 3 fans to the CPU fan headers? Those are for fans cooling the CPU (pushing hot air out of heat fins).

Yeah, don't try to use the 3rd pin in setups like that. Connect the splitter directly to the PSU and use a voltage regulator (the resistor cable that comes with some fans, "low noise adaptor").

Mine didn't come with one of those low noise adapters, is it this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/..resistor cable
Yes that is a resistor cable that comes with Zalman CPU Coolers. Its purpose is to slow down the fan speed, so it is not as loud. I have a Zalman CNPS10X Performa that came with this resistor cable.

Which CPU cooler do you have?
Does the cooler have three fans or are you wanting to operate case fans with the motherboard's CPU fan controller?

Edit:
The reason why a splitter wouldn't work with the CPU fan controller, is the fact that the fans have a speed sensor that the controller monitors. If two fans are connected together, the speed sensor would become noise that the controller couldn't monitor. This in turn would render the controller incapable of maintaining control of the fans speed.

All I want is for the intake fan to be not as loud. I have a stock intel cpu cooler. My mobo has only got 2 cpu fan ports and I use one of them for the intake fan and outake fan(not the psu fan). I use a splitter which came with the outtake fan. The splitter is permanently attached to the fans cpu fan cable

You need a 'molex to fan header' cable. Or, 'SATA to fan header' cable. The first one is what you'd usually use.

Here is molex:
9554979d07d45f52.jpg

This runs the fan at the normal speed. Add in your low noise adaptor, and you have a fan that spins slow and constant.

Molex to fan: this is used so you get a CONSTANT speed from your fans. It is connected to your PSU, so there's no silly motherboard trying to change the speed.

Resistor cable / low noise adaptor: This reduces the voltage in the fan, making it run slower no matter what than the original speed...

Since you'll be connected to PSU, you will have a fan running at slower speed, all the time. Not slow/quiet enough? Put in a bigger resistor.

tl;dr just buy the damn molex-to-fan connector lol

Dude. Your last link is a fan controller, with a variable resistor, to slow down the fan. This will work too.

You left out the second part of your order: a resistor cable. So, either get the resistor cable (also known as low noise adaptor), or get the above Fan Mate Controller (you will have greater control).

If your fan is broken, even spinning at 600RPM will make noise....

Back