Faraday Future scraps plans to build manufacturing facility in California

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Faraday Future has scrapped plans to open a manufacturing facility and showroom in Vallejo, California, instead electing to finish an earlier construction project in Nevada.

In a statement issued to TechCrunch, the hopeful Tesla rival said its new strategy will see it focus efforts on completing its first production vehicle facility in the desert.

Faraday Future broke ground on a 3 million-square-foot, $1 billion manufacturing plant in North Las Vegas last April. Financing dried up near the end of the year, however, forcing lead contractor AECOM to halt construction indefinitely.

The company reportedly went back to the drawing board and scaled down the operation to a more modest 650,000-square-feet. Construction should resume soon with plans to complete the project this fall barring any additional funding hiccups.

Shortly after its big CES presentation in early January, Faraday Future revealed it had taken more than 64,000 reservations for its first consumer vehicle, the FF 91. Sources claimed that only 60 people had submitted a deposit alongside their reservation.

Faraday Future isn’t giving up on Vallejo entirely. In its statement, the electric automaker thanked the city for its generosity and professionalism throughout the process, adding that it looks forward to exploring future opportunities in the city.

Permalink to story.

What do you get when you put environmentalists and career politicians in charge of a state?

You get companies building in Nevada instead of California.

Environmental laws are still pretty strict in Nevada, but I get your meaning. CA is nuts some(most)times.

I wouldn't own a business or any property in the People's Republic of California.
Too many stupid laws, too many restrictions, too many lawsuits. I don't know how
anyone can do business in California, without paying hush money under the table.
Might explain why there is a serious migration of legal residents OUT of California.

I wouldn't own a business or any property in the People's Republic of California.
Too many stupid laws, too many restrictions, too many lawsuits. I don't know how
anyone can do business in California, without paying hush money under the table.
Might explain why there is a serious migration of legal residents OUT of California.

We may need the wall to extend further north than originally anticipated.

Whenever I see the name Vallejo, California, I think back to the Zodiac Killers crimes in the 60's and wonder why that serial killer was never caught.

I doubt this has anything to do with california's laws, and far more to do with faraday most likely being an elaborate smoke-and-mirrors project that is too far gone to abandon.

We may need the wall to extend further north than originally anticipated.

Well, I sort of have this sick warped fantasy that "the big one" causes pretty much anything WEST of the San Andreas fault line, floats off into the ocean about half way between Hawaii & California...and becomes its own country.

Back