Fatal system Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspiron 1300/B130
80gig hd
512 x 2 mem
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
to the point i guess...i updated windows with service pack 3 and restarted and it did nothing but give a error ''stop' fatal system error' system will shut down ..and it did..
i restarted the pc it ran the windows logo and thats all right back to fatal system error..
so i tryed f8 ,f12,ran diagnostics everything passed ,tryed to boot from windows os disk nothing ...i cant seem to get in the pc ..at this point everything will help i dont care about the info on the laptop i just want to get it running again...

any ideas ?

When you install a hotfix, it automatically creates a hotfix uninstallation folder in your Windows directory. The hotfix backup folder usually has the following naming convention:

$NtUninstallKBnnnnnn$ - Where the nnnnnn refers to the update / Knowledgebase article ID

so for sp3 it would be $NtUninstallKB936929$ If I am not mistaken.

Boot into the Windows XP Recovery Console using the Windows XP CD-ROM.

Type in the password for your installation of Windows XP, and press Enter.

When you see the C:\Windows Prompt, type this command: DIR $*

This lists all the folder starting with the character $. All the $NtUninstall.... folders are now displayed. $NtUninstall folders are nothing but the Hotfix backup folders, which contains the original version of the system files, before the hotfix was installed.

Note down the Hotfix numbers matching the date you installed the problematic Hotfix(es). Spot the Hotfix that you want to remove, and change to that directory by typing this: CHDIR $NtUninstallKBnnnnnn$\spuninst

again for sp3 if I am not mistaken it would be. CHDIR $NtUninstallKB936929$\spuninst

Once you're in that folder, you'll need to execute the spuninst.txt which contains DOS commands, similar to a .BAT file. The command instructions in this spuninst.txt file will actually copy the original system files to their respective folders. To run the spuninst.txt file, type this: BATCH spuninst.txt

The hotfix will be uninstalled. Restart, and see if the problem is resolved. If Windows loads normally, open Add/Remove Programs and completely uninstall that particular hotfix. This ensures that the additional files, Add/Remove entries and other registry keys added by the Hotfix are removed completely.

If Windows does not load, load Recovery Console again and then follow the above procedure to remove the additional Hotfixes one at a time, to isolate the problem. If you install multiple Hotfixes in a single session, it's difficult to point out which of the installed Hotfixes is preventing Windows XP from loading. Hence you need to troubleshoot it on a trial and error basis, using Recovery Console.

In order to boot from your xpinstall disc you need to go into the bios of your computer and change the first boot device to cd-rom

Hope this will be of some help. Please let us know if this resolves your issue or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back