FCC grants telecoms the ability to block robocalls and spam texts

Shawn Knight

Staff member

fcc telcos spam robocalls text spam texts national do not call registry

In 2003, the FCC and the FTC took steps to limit the number of telemarketing calls that consumers receive. The creation of the National Do Not Call Registry was certainly a step in the right direction but as anyone that owns a phone knows, it’s no longer all that effective.

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler said the agency received more than 215,000 complains about automated calls in 2014. As you can imagine, they receive more complaints on this topic than any other issue.

Moving forward, consumers will now have another ally on their side: wireless service providers.

Up to this point, some telecoms have told irritated customers that they can’t do anything about automated calls as they’re required to connect every call. That’s no longer the case.

The FCC has voted 3-2 to give telecoms the authority to block automated calls and text messages before they even reach a consumer. As The Wall Street Journal notes, the new rule also classifies the use of automated dialing machines, pre-recorded calls and text messages the same as phone calls, thus eliminating a loophole that companies have used for years to circumvent old rules.

Just because a telecom now has the power to block robocalls and texts doesn’t mean they’re required to do so. If a customer asks their telecom to block such calls, they can simply decline to do so.

The two votes against the rule were from concerned Republican commissioners that believe the guidelines go too far and will restrict automated calls used for legitimate purposes, such as to inform a person that their taxi is on the way.

Image courtesy lamont_cranston, Flickr

Permalink to story.

Take that Paypal with your "we have the right to robocall you for any reason" crap.

This move is good in some ways but bad in others. For one thing, my local doctor office occasionally sends out automated messages to remind me of appointment and I'm sure there are thousands of pharmacies that have automated messages to tell you that your prescription(s) are ready. Another thing is utility, internet, phone, and tv companies sending you automated messages about your bills.

... I'm sure there are thousands of pharmacies that have automated messages to tell you that your prescription(s) are ready.
That's the first thing I thought of. Perhaps there will be a way to make exceptions for this just like you can do with your junk email folder.

HURRAY!!! Dump'm all. I disregard all calls not in my phone book and Kaiser doesn't like it - - but when they stop using anonymous calls, this will stop.

btw: Let'm go to voice mail if you don't recognize the number - - they never leave a message and you know it was a robocall !

Back