1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

FCC grants Verizon permission to lock new phones to its network for 60 days

By Polycount · 10 replies
Jun 26, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Though this may seem like an unusual decision for the FCC to make, there's a good reason for it: both the organization and Verizon itself believe that this slightly less restrictive version of previous phone unlocking rules will prevent identity theft and device fraud.

"Verizon plans to implement a short, 60 day fraud safety check period, which will go into effect very soon," said Verizon CEO Ronan Dunne. "After the 60 day period the phones will unlock automatically. That means, fraudsters who order and steal phones — clearly with no intention of ever paying for them will have a much harder time."

The original phone unlocking rules that Verizon has been bound by took effect when the carrier acquired "C block" from the FCC during a 2008 spectrum auction -- the FCC's new decision is considered a "limited waiver" of those rules.

The FCC feels that the number of consumers that might be harmed by this waiver is insignificant when compared to the potential for identity theft. "Verizon indicates that only “a tiny fraction” of its customers port their numbers or change carriers within the first 60 days of service and that those who do change carriers usually return their handsets to Verizon within the 14-day return period," the Commission said in an order.

Permalink to story.

2. ckm88

ckm88 TS Addict Posts: 187   +135

Aaaaaaaand, Ajit is once again being dumb (as he always is). Why can't we all be like EUR, and have unlocked phones for all???

MonsterZero and lexster like this.
  3. m4a4

m4a4 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,485   +1,072

...Did you even read the article?

Hexic likes this.
  4. ckm88

...I didn't. Fail. BUT, Ajit is still a *******.

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,677   +4,024

While it might discourage those seeking fast turn around on selling hot phones, it will only mean a slight delay .... not really much of a deterrent ....

wiyosaya likes this.
  6. brucek

brucek TS Maniac Posts: 199   +223

I wonder if they could instead just lock them to U.S. Carriers as a whole, or an even larger consortium of carriers as long as each agreed to brick phones reported as stolen.

Most customers would never notice / never care and yet they'd become useless for theft for export. There could be a free unlock offered to those who were say moving overseas that would become available after the "check cleared" + a sufficient safety window.

7. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,237   +1,671

props for admitting it :)

ckm88 likes this.
  8. ckm88

:)

I dunno, anything with Ajit's name in it, I tend to skip over and just wanna bash him lol. Hate that guy so much.

lexster and stewi0001 like this.
  9. lexster

lexster TS Guru Posts: 607   +297

Some of us feel your pain.

10. MonsterZero

MonsterZero TS Evangelist Posts: 582   +334

What's to read? Verizon shill heading up the FCC grants his old buddies terms and conditions they want so that he can get paid under the table or get kickbacks. I don't even need to read the article to know anything with his or Verizon's name on it is always bad news for the consumer.

Please Verizon, save us from all from the unlocked phone fraud!!!

ckm88 and lexster like this.
  11. m4a4

m4a4 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,485   +1,072

Congrats on making an uninformed comment then, based solely on feelings. I know kids who do the exact same thing!

stewi0001 and MonsterZero like this.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...