Few websites do not open even with fast internet speed

madhav04

Hello

Few websites are not opening even though I have fast internet speed.

My net speed is 10 Mbps. This is fast in my area. I am able to access sites like youtube, facebook etc very quickly. There is no problem with video buffering also.
However, few sites do not open. The browser keeps loading but the sites do not open.
Eg of sites not loading
http://www.elements-ro.com/
http://forum.ratemyserver.net/serve...832/?PHPSESSID=uj89hnriu7fm4p0u62c5g7rhc7#new
http://blueocean.org.in/
Games which require internet, also do not run.

I checked on https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com, it shows the sites which are not working on my pc, are working on others.

I feel the issue is with my ISP. One of the sites which was earlier loading has stopped loading now.

Please help to resolve the issue. Thanks

It is not due to ban in country/ regulation / parent control.
If I use internet from my mobile, the sites load properly and am able to view them.

If I use the home internet, same websites do not open.

Regarding alternate DNS, I tired to change my router settings. Entered preffered DNS to 8.8.8.8. But nothing happened. The websites still do not load.

Can you confirm if am doing it correctly? Or is there a guide, which I can follow to try alternate DNS?

The wikipedia link, gives infomation about what is DNS. I need information of how to change it and what settings to enter.

Thanks

Here is what I did:-
- Open Router settings > Enter DNS Manually > Preffered DNS as 208.67.222.222, Alternate DNS 208.67.220.220 > Saved and reboot. >> No change
(Is this correct way? Sorry, dont have manual for router. I am using D-link Router)

- Tried opening the sites in browers - Internet Explorer, Opera and Chrome >> Sites not loading

- Cleared History of the browsers >> Sites not loading

Here is what I did:-
- Open Router settings > Enter DNS Manually > Preffered DNS as 208.67.222.222, Alternate DNS 208.67.220.220 > Saved and reboot. >> No change
(Is this correct way? Sorry, dont have manual for router. I am using D-link Router)

- Tried opening the sites in browers - Internet Explorer, Opera and Chrome >> Sites not loading

- Cleared History of the browsers >> Sites not loading
That's ISP specific -- you need generic, aka:
  1. 8.8.8.8
  2. 8.8.4.4
  3. 1.1.1.1
  4. 1.0. 0.1

Save the settings & then power cycle the router

@jobeard I'm wondering if it could be something going into the hosts file - something routine that could be adding websites to localhost..... possibly a rogue website checker which is locking out various sites in an effort to prevent advertising, etc ?

Hello Joebeard

I did google search for How to update firmware.
Please find the attached excel. I followed the same instructions.

However, there is no change in the loading of the sites.
Still the sites are not loading from the home conenction.
Same sites are loading via mobile connection.

Attachments

• How_to_PerformFirmwareUpgrade.pdf
    232.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
@Cycloid Torus. I logged into my router >> Manual Setup >> Maintenance>> Firmware update >> Now, I cleck on check for update - it shows you are using the latest version. Earlier it showed me a version was available. Thus, I understnad the firmware has been updated.

@jobeard - can you please tell me step by step?
- Where do I enter 127.0.0.1
- www.localhost.com - I tried this. This site does not open.
- 127.0.01 - I tried opening this in address bar. This does not open
- What should I remove?

1. remember to power everything off (system, router, modem) and then back on (modem - wait for green, router - wait for green, system)

2. hosts file - for recent Windows, this is in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc - can be examined with Notepad

3. 127.0.0.1 loops back to your system (jobeard is expert on why and how)

4. some folks add 'bad' sites to this list and aim the bad site to 127.0.0.1 so trying to go to the bad site goes nowhere - we just want to know if this is happening to you and then if it is caused by a rogue program

5. if firmware is updated and hosts is clean, then reboot and see if it works

Ok. I switched off my system and router. Then turned on both.
Please find attached hosts file - Before and After Reboot.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• hostsAfterReboot.txt
    824 bytes · Views: 2
  • hostsBefroreReboot.txt
    824 bytes · Views: 3
Re-stating the obvious. Hosts file is clean. Firmware is updated. Reboot does not correct issue.

If it were mine to do, I would first uninstall my browser and download and install it again.

Failing that, I would hope that jobeard has a magic bullet - or, possibly, support at your ISP.

My ISP does not believe me. They say from their end everything is working fine and its problem with my PC.

I have raised a support ticket at D-Link's website. Its been 3 days, not even an acknowledgement mail from their side :(

Look forward to hear from jobeard

Just to prove something about your ISP, let's resolve a few domain names and try to reach them using the IP address found with https://www.whatismyip.com/dns-lookup/

So I entered elements-ro.com and got 104.24.122.147. When I tried the website using the numeric IP, I got:
[SIZE=26px]Something went wrong (but it’s not your fault)
You were visiting a Cloudflare customer’s website, and something went wrong. Don’t worry, it’s not your fault. If the problem isn’t resolved in the next few minutes, it’s most likely an issue with the web server you were trying to reach.
Cloudflare protects websites by sitting in front of Internet requests, and we work with website owners and hosting providers to identify underlying problems in their server configuration.

So I entered ratemyserver.net and got 104.27.152.231 . When I tried the website using the numeric IP, I got:
[SIZE=26px]Something went wrong (but it’s not your fault)
You were visiting a Cloudflare customer’s website, and something went wrong. Don’t worry, it’s not your fault. If the problem isn’t resolved in the next few minutes, it’s most likely an issue with the web server you were trying to reach.
Cloudflare protects websites by sitting in front of Internet requests, and we work with website owners and hosting providers to identify underlying problems in their server configuration.

@jobeard @madhav04 So, I am wondering if there is an issue with CLOUDFLARE.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

@Cycloid Torus
Apologies, but id not understand your above post. I have no knowledge what CLOUDFLARE is.

However, wanted to bring to your notice the below. I tried the below website again
www.linkedin.com (This is a well known social network. So cannot be down)
www.wns.com
www.blueocean.org.in
www.elements-ro.com
http://forum.ratemyserver.net/ (I am able to open www.ratemyserver.net. But the forums link does not load)

All the above site do not get load with home connection. But opens properly by mobile connection.

facebook, youtube - such high data utilization sites opens fine with home connection

I'm as puzzled as you are. The resolved IP address for Linkedin is 108.174.10.10. Ping works with that, yet when I try to reach it by putting the IP adress in my browser command line, I get
LinkedIn
[SIZE=26px]Not Found
The request was not found. Check the location and try again.. Please double-check the URL (address) you used, or contact us if you feel you have reached this page in error.

Then I tired google.com - worked fine.[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Critical point with TCP: If your device can not PING the DNS address you are attempting to configure -- OMG you can't use that DNS, it's not accessible to your device!

get a command prompt window
now test if the dns you desire is accessible TO YOU

eg: ping -8.8.4.4
reply should be something like
Pinging 8.8.4.4 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.4.4: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=54

try ping 108.174.10.10
Pinging 108.174.10.10 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 108.174.10.10: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=53

Back