Fidbox.dat related to Kaspersky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerry4

a year ago I had a virus or malware, used the Kaspersky tool, eventually uninstalled that tool. When I do a defragmentation it shows 44,52 fragments that cannot be defragmented. That is 4GB and it shows \Windows\System32\Drivers\fidbox.dat
I found the fidbox.dat on Google and it seems to be files related to the Kaspersky scan. I would like to remove this, the 4GB is a lot and I am trying to trim down my computer. Thank you.

Thank you for replies. I ran into a problem trying to delete this fidbox which has shown for the last several defrags. I go to my C drive, to the Windows System 32 drivers and see no listing under the name fidbox. I have opened many things that looked like it may have it, no luck. It does not appear when I do a search. I had uninstalled the Kaspersky a long time ago and looking at the information on your reply on Kaspersky's site to get rid of the fidbox, I wonder if I have to reinstall Kaspersky to get at them. I don't remember just what part of Kaspersky I used, I don't use their anti-virus, I seem to remember a tool. Also I use Malwarebytes and did run a scan and also with my antivirus, comes up clean. I am very puzzled with this.

The results of your antivirus and malware detectors will indeed show up clean. The file is by no means harming your computer in anyway except for taking up valuable space. Right-click the file and see what the attributes are. If defrag can't touch the file, it must have a special attribute assigned to it. Usually if a file is compressed, it won't be accessed.

Thanks for reply. Yes it is taking up valuable space and that is my concern-4GB is a lot.
I cannot find the file to see what the attributes are and yes I am sure that the file is compressed, I saw something on that when the defragging took place. So it does not seem that I can get to it. Other than showing up on the C Drive windows 32system as fidbox, do you know if there would be any other means of identifying it? I found something on kaspersky's site where I could submit a question and I did ask about this but have not had a reply
I appreciate your help.

You should be able to find it in your Windows Explorer, once found, right-click it, and under properties, it will give you all the properties and the attributes at the bottom. If Kaspersky has been successfully uninstalled, there should be nothing on your PC accessing it, and you should be able to delete it.

It was on Windows Explorer that I have been searching for this. Have been on Windows, System and System32 and unable to find this. I have gone thru the listings 4 times.
I'll give it a try again tomorrow, a fresh start. I am certain that all I had on my computer was the Kaspersky tool and it was Nov or Dec 2008. I never subscribed to the A.V.

OOPS!
It's getting late, I forgot something. Assuming you are using Windows XP, under "tools" in your Windows Explorer, select Folder Options>>>view. Look for "Hidden Files and Folders" and check "show"
Accept the changes and look again.

It was on the Windows Syster 32 Drivers that I have been looking. On the site that you just sent, it just shows for removal of the AV programs, although I am certain I never had those, I'll look at all of this again in the morning after a good night's sleep. Thanks much for your help.

Yes I am on WinXP, and just followed your instructions on View hidden folders. It was already checked off with the dot in the circle. I'm not sure I have ever been on that site before. I'll look at it again in the a.m.

Strategic, I have found something this morning that is not very encouraging. Went back on the Kaspersky site that you sent and noticed that they gave the name of the file for fidbox.
It is: "%winder%System32\drivers". I have been on the Systerm32\Drivers so many times but went through again, nothing with that. I did a search and what comes up is"C:\Windowssystem32 refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network, check to make sure disk properly inserted or that you are connected to internet. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."
It would seem that there lies my problem of not finding this in Explorer and it seems to be buried in my computer taking up all of this room. It would be really looking for the needle in the haystack to find this without any direction. I might just have to swallow the fact that I am stuck for the 4GB. What do you think?

The only reason you shoudln't see it in the Explorer is that it's hidden (it may even be attributed as a system file).
The paths you typed in your post are incorrect,("%winder%System32\drivers" & "C:\Windowssystem32 ) I'm assuming it's a typo?

My error on that, it was not a typo, should be %windir%\ etc. I just put that in the search and came up with the listing that is on one Explorer Windows Drivers. Shows 2 from Kaspersky, both numbers, one from Nov and one from Dec 08, both 145KB. When I click to open,message states: "You are attempting to open a file of type 'System file (.sys) These files are used by the oper system and by various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system. If you still want to open the file, click Open With, or cancel."
I am too unsure of myself to open.

I should have mentioned, nothing shows for names fidbox or Kaspersky, save for Kaspersky when you open those numbers.

Hello Strategic,
Just want to say thank you for your suggestions, you have been most helpful. I went through all of these motions again this morning. I thought that being rested, I might find something new. I have come to the conclusion that as you said, it could be a hidden file and I think that I should just get on with doing a "cleanup" on my computer as I had been doing and letting this go.
Kerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back