FIFA 17 vs PES 2017: Head-to-head

Julio Franco

Staff member

Most video games, even blockbuster sequels, exist in a kind of isolation. You treat each one like a self-contained entertainment experience. Football/soccer games, though, live in a very different reality than most video games. For one, they’re sports games, which means a new one is released every year, a schedule that presents challenges to developers and problems for fans, who have to pick through bullshit bullet-point marketing to decide whether it’s worth playing a game that’s likely very similar to one they spent months playing last year.

Instead of being a single game that we look at in a vacuum and treat on its own merits, each year’s release is merely the latest chapter in ongoing sagas.

FIFA and PES are like Batman and The Joker, their entire existence defined by the presence of the other. You can’t play PES without talking about FIFA’s licenses, and you can’t play FIFA without talking about PES’ gameplay, because those things are as much a result of targeting the competitor’s weaknesses as their own inherent strengths.

Read the complete review.

Ever since Konami’s PES series switched to the Fox Engine a few years back, it has enjoyed a short period of (critical, at least) superiority over its flashier competitor, which limped through the early years of the XB1/PS4 generation with an engine that was, to put it kindly, dated as ****.

Err, WTF is this guy talking about.

PES Fox Engine debut: PES 2014
FIFA Ignite Engine debut: FIFA 14

Ignite was new for the PS4/Xbone you *****.

Ever since Konami’s PES series switched to the Fox Engine a few years back, it has enjoyed a short period of (critical, at least) superiority over its flashier competitor, which limped through the early years of the XB1/PS4 generation with an engine that was, to put it kindly, dated as ****.

Err, WTF is this guy talking about.

PES Fox Engine debut: PES 2014
FIFA Ignite Engine debut: FIFA 14

Ignite was new for the PS4/Xbone you *****.

But but but.... FIFA 17 uses frostbit engine.

I am playing PC version. It is modded with authentic kits, additional stadiums and such. It is in 2560x1440, beautiful, and fluid.

I don't usually read game reviews, and I hate all the video games sites, but I do love football games and try to read all the reviews I can find.

I must say, to my surprise, this review explained what I felt about those two games best.

Back