Firefox 3 won't open some websites: "server reset"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoBot

It says "connection to the server was reset" whenever I try to visit some websites. It worked just fine about a week ago. Don't know what changed since than. Can someone tell me how to fix it?? Is it an Add-on that's making the trouble?

i would appreciate some help.

When you have that problem have you tried to use another browser to know if whether firefox is bad or your internet connection?

Also what add-on do you have on your Firefox?

Chrome gives:

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at blah blah blah might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

And IE basically says the same thing

So it is not firefox the problem but a problem with your internet connection.

Do you have an antivirus and firewall install on your computer?

Ok. AVG normally don't prevent websites from being viewed.

What sites exactly did it block? Are you connected by a router or directly to the internet?

Well... the thing is, I'm connected the same way that I have been for 5 months. I had reverted back to a previous restoration point like 4 days ago, because some crap got installed that I didnt want.

It started after that. Here are the extensions I have

ohh wait, I cant post images yet........

As far as Anti-Spyware, registry error fixers, and malware apps. Here's what I have. CCleaner, TuneUp Utilities 2008, ClamWin Antivirus, AVG 8,

2mfx66t.jpg

e2bmb.jpg

Have you checked the date of your pc, sometime if your date is out you go some websites.
It has to do with the security certificates, if keeps changing every year so if you don't have the wright date it might do that.

As I can see you have AVG Safe Search. Try to disable for a moment and browse. If it work then leave AVG Safe Search off.

You're welcome mate. Sometimes when program like that works it just check how you use your PC and then start working after some times or I may be an update that change all that.

The most important is that it works now!!!

I've been using Firefox for over 4 years so am pretty use to it's ways. But I also started experiencing the 'server reset' problem after updating to a v3. I had hoped that additional updates after the first one would correct this, but it still happens occasionally.

When this happens, I have no indication that the internet connection has been lost. We are not the only ones with this problem.

Give this a try:
Solution
Note that in this case, uninstallation and re-installation of Firefox will not solve the above difficulty.
Making a reset of Firefox will set off the trouble. Below is a means of how to proceed:

1. Click on Start / Run Enter the following command: firefox -safe-mode
2. In the open window, select "Reset preferences to default Firefox"
3. Click on 'Make the changes and restart "
You can now browse properly on Firefox.

EDIT: to add
Well, I'm back! I tried to follow the directions above and am unable to find the where to do the reset. And by the way, I do NOT have AVG nor do I have so many add-ons! The ones I have are those I've had since day 1-all that were updated as FF was updated. I also opened about:config and couldn't find a comparable reset preferences setting.

Server Reset: Connection was terminated from the server side.

Most frequently this is due to a cache sync issue or old cookies.

1) delete the browser cache
2) delete all cookies related to the specific site

you will need to login and issue new user/passwd as the remember login should have
been deleted!

jobeard, I haven't been able to pin this down to any particular site. I also delete Cookies several times a day and cache is emptied every time I close the browser. The reset is totally random as far as I've been able to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back