Firefox dev claims rapid release schedule tarnished the browser's rep

Shawn Knight

Staff member

There are multiple debates as to why Mozilla’s Firefox browser has seen its user base decline in recent memory. Those against the browser cite everything from memory leaks to frequent Flash player crashes but one developer that worked on the browser thinks he has the answer.

Jono DiCarlo says that the organization’s poor implementation of their rapid release schedule has ultimate led many users switch to Google Chrome as an alternative to Microsoft’s Internet Explorer.

The developer noted in a recent blog post that Firefox now looks like an inferior version of Google Chrome, partly because they pushed a never-ending stream of updates to users who didn’t want them.

He says that after years of trying to improve software usability, he’s come to the realization that the single best thing to do is to leave the UI unchanged long enough for users to become familiar with it and get good at using it. “There's no UI better than one you already know, and no UI worse than one you thought you knew but now have to relearn,” DiCarlo said.

DiCarlo says that when someone learns that he works for Mozilla, he typically gets an earful with regards to the browser’s constant updates with intrusive dialogue boxes and broken add-ons.

But for what it’s worth, he says that Mozilla has improved the update process but worries that it might be a case of too little, too late. After all, it could be extremely hard to regain users that have already switched to a different browser.

After this story went live, Mozilla sent us the following statement regarding DiCarlo's take on Firefox:

"Jono's analysis is interesting, but outdated. Regular Firefox updates are good news for users and for the Web but only when they don't interrupt what you're doing. Today's Firefox updates are applied in the background with no interruptions; they even keep your Firefox Add-ons compatible between releases. The result is that our users always have a fast, beautiful and secure browsing experience. Regular releases also let us get new features to our users faster than ever before, and we can listen to their feedback to improve things, just as we did with updates in 2011."

Editor's note (Julio): And I tend to agree. Firefox's update mechanism and schedule have been considerably improved. However it also remains true Firefox nearly pulled off "an Internet Explorer" around the time Chrome entered the browser market blazing. Google caught Mozilla offguard touting huge performance improvements while they kept delaying Firefox 4.0 over and over. The somewhat unorganized rapid release schedule came shortly after that, in response to Chrome's growing popularity.

Permalink to story.

“There's no UI better than one you already know, and no UI worse than one you thought you knew but now have to relearn,”

Microsoft, pay attention.

I've been using firefox for years now and generally it serves me fine but have noticed recently that it has more and more of a tendacy to crash as stated in the article. Getting tempted for a chrome switch as everyone seems to rave about it so much.

The reason I switched to Chrome 2 years ago was the fact that Mozilla changed the shortcut Ctrl+E from search bar to something else. They changed it back not long ago though, and I'm now back as a Firefox user. What I most dislike about Chrome are the menus. If you go to Options you get some HTML5-styled options screen that inefficient to use compared to Firefox option screen.

its not late...ive tried google chrome many times. given it many shots. sure its fast and all, but ultimately it just cant do things that firefox addons can...chrome extension just cant compete with firefox addons. plus firefox is ALOT more customizable...
the only thing I'd want firefox to do is improve Sync a little more, and make firefox smooth...its lags like hell on my core 2 duo with 2gb RAM.

I was a very long time Firefox user, switched to Chrome about 6 months ago and have been loving it. I have a lot of new systems I toy with so installing Chrome, logging in and instantly having all my favorites, plugins, and apps back is awesome. Also the android syncing/tab syncing features are sweet.

The only thing that tarnished its reputation with me was the CONSTANT CRASHES!

I really preferred FF to Chrome, but when your browser crashes every 10 minutes or so, you're going to stop using it and move to an alternate. And then you check every so often to see if fixed, and eventually you stop checking.

'If it ain't broke, don't fix' it is the lesson to be learned here...

I don't think it's too late at all, simply because the browsers are all free and it's very easy to switch from one to the other. There's no reason to be loyal in the browser market... just use whatever is best for you at any given time.

I was a long time Mozilla user and advocate and first tried Chrome because of the purported performance. And it was much faster, so I kept using it. People like a faster web and Chrome beats the rest in providing it. Plain and simple. If Mozilla can beat Chrome on performance, they will win back users. Otherwise it will be a sad, long slide downhill.

I've been running FF since I was old enough to use a computer, and it'd take a lot for me to change. But then again, I've never had as many problems as other people seem to have. It only crashes when I open 150+ tabs (I typically have around 30-40 and it's fine with that). Flash player crashes maybe once a month (but I have flashblock also).

I tried Chrome when it first came out and I missed my add-ons. Even now that there are add-ons, there's still little incentive for me to switch when FF works pretty flawlessly in my experience.

Absolutely the number one reason I stopped using FF was due to the continuous display of untrusted connection warnings and the related resolution process for even the most mainstream and well-known sites. The constant process of reading the tech details, understanding the risks, getting the certificate or adding an exception, confirming the exception, etc., was just way too annoying so I would just rage quit FF and jump to IE of Chrome. Just FYI, my computer time and date are accurate, so this is not a reason for the warning messages. And why is this even a reason to display these warnings and force the user into numerous clicks?

I just stopped using firefox because of those constant update reminders. I hear there are automatic updates now but it took them way too long to implement that.

Hey, update now! But, my add-ons.....Hey, update now! ok.......Hey, update now! Wait what? But I just...

I have used FF for longer than I can even remember and have never experienced the crashing or flash problems others speak of. These problems are with your system not FF, I know I fix them all the time for other people. Malware and viruses are ALLWAYS the problem. Keep your system clean and up to date and your problems with FF will go away.

curious how no one considers or gives Opera a chance, but rather hovers between FF and Chrome.
and chrome also has a rapid release schedule...

I switched to Chrome when Firefox started taking minutes to load each page, which Chrome loaded in seconds. Not sure why, but I got tired of waiting for basic functionality.

I have used FF for longer than I can even remember and have never experienced the crashing or flash problems others speak of. These problems are with your system not FF, I know I fix them all the time for other people. Malware and viruses are ALLWAYS the problem. Keep your system clean and up to date and your problems with FF will go away.

Yep...our system. Run along fanboy.

I don't like their rapid releases enacted in pursuit of chrome, but perhaps luckily, I never had any issues/crashes at all except for FF4B4/5 (being beta I guess one can't complain about that any way). I think they would have been better off following MS, which releases a browser and leaves it alone for roughly a year or so, before coming up with next major upgrade. Stability+Continuity is very important, but that is just my personal opinion.

I gave Chrome a chance for a week but I always end up going back to Firefox out of loyalty. I'd rather use a good open source browser than some giant company's browser.

Yeah, it's tough consideration. Firefox is awesome, but having to update and deal with add-ons makes the situation all too difficult!

Yep...our system. Run along fanboy.

But he is right and I know this because I had to keep about 150 computers clean and in good working condition where I used to work. Normal people don't have common sense like tech savvy guys have when they surf the net and everyday I had to remove viruses and installed software that ware full of malware.
Everytime I go somebody's house the first thing I notice is that their browser has 10 toolbars because when they install something they only click NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT FINISH.

PS: as a web developer FF is the only browser that actually helps me when I work on a website. the rest I use only to check compatibility (I hate you microsoft!).

But he is right and I know this because I had to keep about 150 computers clean and in good working condition where I used to work. Normal people don't have common sense like tech savvy guys have when they surf the net and everyday I had to remove viruses and installed software that ware full of malware.
Everytime I go somebody's house the first thing I notice is that their browser has 10 toolbars because when they install something they only click NEXT NEXT NEXT NEXT FINISH.

PS: as a web developer FF is the only browser that actually helps me when I work on a website. the rest I use only to check compatibility (I hate you microsoft!).

Ah of course...works for me ergo everyone complaining is a n00b.

So if, hypothetically someone managed the herculean task of keeping the system virus, malware and toolbar free, and still experienced frequent crashes and slow loading sites while using FF, any other potential causes?

I guess I'm one of the few that went to Opera instead of Chrome. I still use Firefox a lot but I agree the updates have become far too common, literally the only thing that updates more often is Flash.

any other potential causes?
Java, GreaseMonkey scripts (read about a case not too long ago, maybe at mozillazine, a script of few lines ate up near 100 Mb), damaged or corrupted profile, driver (AFAIK, Firefox and the nVidia drivers aren't on friendly terms), cache overload (might slow browsing), and so on.
And of course FF is not perfect, so one of your more visited sites possibly has a code part what triggers the bug and results in crash.

Back