'Firefox Send' is a free file transfer tool that lets you send encrypted files up to 2.5GB

Polycount

Staff
Why it matters: Sending large files to others can be a tricky process sometimes. Many messaging platforms have built-in file transfer services, but they typically limit the maximum size of data transfers quite a bit; Discord limits file transfers to around 8MB, for example. Mozilla has been working on a free tool called "Firefox Send" for some time now, and it should help to alleviate the situation when required.

Mozilla rolled out Firefox Send to test users way back in August 2017, but it seems the feature was popular enough to warrant a full launch. Now, the tool has its own website, which lets you easily send files up to 2.5GB in size (with an account) to your friends, colleagues, or anybody else.

All transfers handled through Send are fully encrypted and are performed by uploading your files to Send and sharing the download link with the appropriate recipients. Send also lets you configure auto-expiry settings for the link.

For example, you can set it to self-destruct after a certain number of downloads or after a pre-determined amount of time has elapsed. If you really want to make sure your files end up in the right hands, you can password protect them, too.

Firefox Send is a free service (for now), so you have nothing to lose by giving it a try. To do so, you visit this link to start uploading your files.

Permalink to story.

Say what you want. I use FIREFOX on many devices and since the first year it came out which was in the late 1990's early 2000's? No adds/commercials on YOUTUBE or HULU. Privacy & security is the best. I currently use it on a cheap 5.5 inch quad core $80 Samsung prepaid Galaxy phone I bought like 1-2 years ago, my WINDOWS 10 32bit 2GB RAM Atom quad core tablet, and my W7 64bit Phenom X4 965BE 4.1GHZ, 8GB RAM no issues. Tried APPLE products, MICROSOFT EDGE, CHROME, etc and FIREFOX is the best.

To be honest since it first came out I have used this browser on a total of 20-30 products and was very happy. Never ran any anti virus and had one virus back when I had Windows XP or maybe it was Windows 98SE.

Last edited:
Say what you want. I use FIREFOX on many devices and since the first year it came out which was in the late 1990's early 2000's? No adds/commercials on YOUTUBE or HULU. Privacy & security is the best. I currently use it on a cheap 5.5 inch quad core $80 Samsung prepaid Galaxy phone I bought like 1-2 years ago, my WINDOWS 10 32bit 2GB RAM Atom quad core tablet, and my W7 64bit Phenom X4 965BE 4.1GHZ, 8GB RAM no issues. Tried APPLE products, MICROSOFT EDGE, CHROME, etc and FIREFOX is the best.

To be honest since it first came out I have used this browser on a total of 20-30 products and was very happy. Never ran any anti virus and had one virus back when I had Windows XP or maybe it was Windows 98SE.

I switched to chrome for awhile and switched back about a year and a half ago. Never looked back. Crashes less and better privacy controls.

I switched to chrome for awhile and switched back about a year and a half ago. Never looked back. Crashes less and better privacy controls.

You're correct, sorry I forgot about that. I vaguely remember before Firefox made "Quantum" ( built from the ground up architecture that almost makes FIREFOX flawless) there was a few months where it would crash a few times but only because of Flash player and I think VEVO on YOUTUBE was part of the issue. This was waaaaaaaaay back in the day when VEVO was starting out. I Just simply reloaded the page and the problem would go away. The unstable experience was very minor though maybe happened once every like 30-50 music video's.

Kudos for Firefox, I've been a Firefox user since the early days, I wish more love going their way.

Pretty handy, great little tool for people like my parents to send out family photos\videos.
I know I know... Google is the devil and we shouldn't promote their products... but if you want something really easy for people who are not tech-savvy, Google Photos is a great tool with unlimited storage if you don't mind the pictures being scaled down to 2mp. For me at least, this helped a lot with my grandma's phone always running out of space and she can easily share her pictures with us now :)

Imagine writing a photo app or site that just murders a photo's resolution, and then seeing it promoted on a tech site.
If you don't mind purchasing the space you can have the full sized photo, however, for the above case mentioned and for the casual family photo, 2mp is MORE than enough to have a quality picture that will display well everywhere you look at it and can even print to a very decent size.

With that said, if it's a photography enthusiast they probably won't have the tech-savvy problem side.

You see, it's all about the context, right?

No kidding! May not be for the masses, but hands down, the best browser. The majority of IE and Chrome users don't even know what they're missing.

Back