Firefox, Yahoo: How to move bookmarks folder out of another folder?

macx

I was doing some organizing (I don't know why, but I don't have "organize" in my bookmarks menu?) and moved one main folder into another folder by mistake, now can't move it back out into the main bookmarks menu.
Have done a search and nothing I can find will work.

This can't be that difficult!

Thanks!

Organize favorites is for IE. For Firefox you can restore your bookmarks by clicking on Bookmarks in the Menu Bar, click Show All Bookmarks, click the Import and Backup button, click Restore, click Choose File and then navigate to and select the .json file that was moved. Firefox will place a copy of the .json file (which are your bookmarks) back to the default folder. If you want, you can select a recent backup copy from the drop down list instead of choose file. That would save you a few clicks.

After restoring your bookmarks you can delete the accidentally moved file.

One trouble with that is that I've moved a good number of other bookmarks into different folders and have added several new ones since that.

As good as Firefox usually is with being user-friendly, that seems to me to be something that needs to be improved.

I think I'll just create a new Folder and then copy the couple dozen bookmarks out of the folder I wanted to move,. then delete that folder.

Thanks anyway

Maybe I misunderstood. Did you mean various custom bookmark folders under Bookmarks? If so, you should be able to cut and paste individual bookmarks or whole folders. Right click to do so. You can also drag and drop but it can be a bit tricky sometimes.

Yes, I first tried to drag & drop but as soon as I clicked on the folder I wanted to move, the contents of that folder covered up the main bookmark list.

This was a "main list" folder that I inadvertently "dropped" into another main list folder instead of just
moving to a different place in the main list. Agreed - that whole process is quite touchy. Easy for something wrong to happen.

I tried to copy the bookmarks within the folder but as soon as I'd click on the first one, whether or not I was holding down the CTRL or Alt, it just opened the individual bookmark.

Finally found I could select the folder and do the usual copy and paste it into the main bookmark list.

Would be nice if some of the many results I got while Searching would explain how simple that is to do,
instead of going thru a hundred gyrations within a long list of successive windows. And nothing in any of
the menu's that open while trying to make something happen . Just hit on it while trying some things.

If none of the above work, you should be able to go to where the "one main folder" is, left click it & drag it back to where it was & release the mouse. I've had to do such myself. I wish you the best.

I finally figured out how to do it with the Firefox bookmarks. I opened two browser windows and bookmarks. Went to folder within folder and copied the one I needed to move. Then to the other browser with listed bookmarks and pasted. Then I deleted the folder within the folder.

Back