1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

First iPhone XS, XS Max drop and liquid tests hit the web

By Shawn Knight · 6 replies
Sep 21, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Apple’s iPhone XS and XS Max are finally finding their way into the hands of eager buyers willing to part with a minimum of $999 for the opportunity. It’s not uncommon for new phone owners to put their prized possessions directly into a protective case or at the very least, handle them like delicate flowers.

For a select few, however, purchasing a new iPhone is little more than a race to see who can destroy it first (and reap the YouTube ad revenue rewards). For the crew over at TechSmartt, that meant taking a trip to Australia to be among the first in the world to get their mitts on the new handsets and put Apple’s durability claims to the test.

TechSmartt dropped the iPhone X (last year’s model), the iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Max from an unofficial pocket height, head height and around 10 feet onto a tennis court. All three devices escaped the pocket height test relatively unscathed save for some very minor scuffing around the edge on the iPhone XS.

At head height (around six feet), the screen on the iPhone X incurred a significant screen crack. The iPhone XS suffered no real visible damage but the iPhone XS Max ended up with a sizable scuff across the top and some scratches on the screen.

The 10-foot drop pretty much finished off the iPhone X as the rear glass was heavily shattered and further damage was taken on the front. The iPhone XS survived the drop with no cracking at all but the same couldn’t be said about the iPhone XS Max as it landed on its corner and the front glass was ruined.

Keep in mind that these are far from what we’d consider “scientific” tests. TechSmartt dropped each device from about the same height and held them in roughly the same position when doing so. Furthermore, the same device was dropped time and again meaning by the third test, each phone had already been dropped twice and potentially weakened.

Those seriously concerned about the durability of the new iPhones should wait for additional durability tests to hit the web before making any conclusions.

Permalink to story.

2. petert

petert TS Evangelist Posts: 359   +157

I am not sure, but I believe this is the norm for iphones - they shatter very easily. I remember seeing cases where, even with protective cases, the screen gets cracked.

p51d007 likes this.
  3. Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand TS Guru Posts: 593   +482

If you drop a rock enough times, it'll break. I'll just go ahead and assume that the same goes for glass, only quicker.

How about comparing the drop rate for about 20 iPhones and their direct competitors to get actual data. Oops, this was clickbait, not scientific data. Never mind.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,266   +4,934

It is more fun to waste a dozen beverages. As if the other beverage has a greater chance at getting through the cracks than water. Over time they may do more chemical damage but not in a 10 minute video.

5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,842   +193

I took a training class to be Apple Care Agent but what I learned is that Apple is another cash cow! Don't expect these Apple flagship cells to not shatter on these so call drop test on a tennis court that has a cushion base already. Come on now get real. Test these drops on real hard floor surface or out on the concert sidewalk. Damages is what Apple Care wants you too do. They make a ton loads of money form the clients you. Shatter proof cell won't happen with these current tech. My Motorola Z2 Force has hit the floor and hit something metal and still not crack because it's not using GG3, GG4, GG5. I got two of this cell phone for me and the GF and boy she's rough with hers I see. Mine it still like brand new..Her's isn't crack and it won't crack. But to replace it for the next model is what's worries me. iPhone I won't buy and got two of their products here. iPad all I do with that is ask the girl in there what's the weather is like for today. The other one is for music for my media player for my SUV. Both of these were gifts so I didn't come out of pocket. But like I said this is all about Apple making more money from you. You break it you pay dearly for it to get fix. I rest my case.

As for water well how many of us are going to use the cell in the pool and in the shower. I think you can hit speaker and talk from a distance than to take a risk with water.

When the transparent hard acrylic cells comes out in both platforms Apple and Android. then just maybe we'll see the end of these torture test!!!

6. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,934   +1,199

I never understood the "attraction" of drop tests when the front and sometimes the back is covered in GLASS. If it hits on a corner, the energy has to go somewhere, resulting in shattering. if it hits in the middle, it could possibly not break. Here's an idea...considering you have to spend 1000 OR MORE for these *****ic works of art, put them in a protective case (which blows the whole colorful & stylish thing out the window), and don't carry them around in your hands 24/7 like I see thousands doing every day.

7. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,897   +1,408

Drop tests exist only for YouTubers to milk them views. They are not accurate in any way. Every time you drop your phone it's a different story and your outcome will most likely be different to his.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...