First official photos of Galaxy Z Fold 5 confirm design

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? With the Galaxy Z Fold 5 launch drawing ever closer, what appears to be the first official marketing images of the device have leaked. As previously rumored, it looks as if the next version of Samsung's foldable will close completely flat, rather than leaving a slight gap as is the case with Galaxy Z Fold 4.

The Galaxy Z Fold 5 images were posted by MySmartPrice (via SamMobile), showing the phone in open and closed positions. The main detail we can glean from the reveal is that rumors of Samsung using a droplet-style hinge that allows the center of the display to form a teardrop shape when closed were accurate. It allows the two sides of the display to fold totally flat, like the Pixel Fold, whereas the Z Fold 4 leaves a slight gap when it's shut.

Another minor change is the position of the camera flash. It's placed within the camera bump on the Fold 4, beneath the bottom lens. In the successor, Samsung has moved it outside of the bump, next to the top lens.

There's also a stylus in the image. But don't expect an in-built holder, as was the case with the discontinued Note series, or to find it inside the box. Like the Fold 4, the S Pen will be purchased separately – though there will likely be pre-order bundle packs that include the stylus, a case, etc.

It does appear that the bezels are slightly smaller in the new Fold, too. The Z Fold 4 has a 90.9% screen-to-body ratio, so this figure could be even higher in the upcoming model.

Apart from folding completely flat, the design of the Fold 5 looks indistinguishable from its predecessor. We'd already heard rumors that this was the case, with Samsung employees reportedly criticizing the design for being boring and not even worthy of being called the Z Fold 4s. But then the Z Fold 4 looks a lot like the Z Fold 3.

As for specs, we're expecting to see the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 SoC powering the Z Fold 5. It will have at least, 12GB of RAM, 256GB of storage, and may come with the same rear camera setup as Galaxy S23.

Samsung is holding a Unpacked event in Seoul, South Korea, on July 26 where the Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Z Flip 5 will be unveiled ahead of their rumored launch date of August 11.

Permalink to story.

Folds flat, less crease...I guess that will justify an increase in price a couple hundred dollars, don't ya think? LOL

Hmmm is it me or foldables are taking longer than expected to reach that golden status of being universally desired?
Most people will admit that it looks cool but are a bit weirded out by having to unfold it, the crease, durability concerns and the price.

Oh who cares. I have the Z fold 3 and that extra 2mm won't make any difference in pocket-feel.

Make these things 40% thinner and 40% lighter and I'll consider "upgrading". This tech seems to have stagnated big time. I only bought it because they gave me a full credit of the purchase price of my S21 one year after I bought it, and I was in the mood for a new toy...

Last edited:
Back