First PC build

Unless you use applications that specifically need hyperthreading, you will never see an advantage to using an I7 2600K over an I5 2500K except spending more.

since you knocked down your screen resolution by like threefold, you only need a single 560ti to play everything at max, and since you no longer have 2 graphics cards a 750w PSU is a waste, just get a 550w one.

Case is awesome and don't let anyone knock you for picking it :p

RAM is good

OCZ SSDs has poor quality control and generally shoddy business practices so most people avoid them

Do you have an active need to be able to play blu-ray DVDs in your computer? you could get a DVD drive for $40 less.

keyboard and mouse are all personal preference really, I would have picked a G9 mouse instead.

Umm, I don't know if a GTX560Ti will be able to play the most demanding and best-looking games on a 27" monitor at max settings. If you're going to spend $2000 on a computer I would go (with all due respect) against whiteshark12's advice and go for your original choice (GTX570) or even higher.

However, having said that, if you're planning on having a potential multi-GPU setup in the future, you should get an AMD card instead; the spec sheet for your motherboard doesn't seem to say anything about SLi support but does list crossfire. Maybe that 6950 (or 6970) in your original plans would be a better bet.

All in all, your setup looks like it's going to be a pretty good rig :)

Hm...
I might go back to getting a 6950 then or even a 6970.
Does anyone know any thing a bout SSD's? How much would I need for a boot up drive, and can programs be installed to either drive? or does your programs all have to be installed on the same one.
When building your own computer do you have to buy extra cables to connect things. Hard drive for example? Thanks in advance.

A 60GB SSD is fine for a boot drive. It'll fit your OS and a couple of select programs. You can then install all other programs onto a hard disk drive. You shouldn't need to buy any extra cables if you're only using 1 SSD and 1 hard disk drive.

i would get the 6970 card and an i5 2500k to save you some money also could downgrade the keyboard to something slightly less expensive. also would go with a slightly better motherboard for the money your spending.

BTW, you should remember that there's no point getting a K-series CPU unless you want to overclock, and if you do, you should probably get a good cooler.

Also, I see that you haven't chosen a mechanical hard drive. You should probably use one for storage; SSDs wear out quickly if new data is written onto it repeatedly (although apparently it's getting better now), and of course there is the fact that they tend to have smaller capacities unless you spend a ton. If you do get an HDD though, you'll need an extra SATA cable, as most motherboards only come with two SATA cables, which would already be used by the SSD and the DVD drive.

Thanks. What performance gains would you get from a better Motherboard? What should I look for when picking one?

I looked up SATA cables and I got a long list of different types and lengths. Which one do I need or how do I find out?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=sata+cable&x=0&y=0

How much space does a install of windows use up and how much extra space would I have to work with on a 60GB drive?

Sorry if I seam indecisive but I found what seems to be a great deal on 25 inch monitors so I might be able to get 3 after all. If I do I will probably get my original 2 6950's and cut back on the peripherals.

HANNspree HF257HPB Black 25" 2ms GTG HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 Dynamic X-contrast 15,000:1 (800:1) Built-in Speakers

New Grand Total: $1899.00 (No mouse or keyboard)

I am still unsure about getting an i5. Are you sure it will not compromise gaming performance? Is there a large difference for other non gaming applications?

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model SH-222AL LightScribe Support - OEM insted of blue-ray drive.

Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Keyboard Cheaper keyboard?

I'm using the Sidewinder X4. It's a nice keyboard as long as you don't mind half-height keys.

A better motherboard will allow higher stable OCs. Also, if it has 3 PCI-E slots, you could later go tri-SLI or triple-CrossFire.

This is a decent motherboard for it's price.

the i5 2500k is the same cpu as the i7 2600k just without hyper threading and 100 mhz less clock speed trust me it will not hinder you at all i am using that cpu right now at a cool 4.9ghz and gaming is amazing :D . im not a big fan of hann spree but to each there own. the better motherboard allows for better overclocking and upgrades like rit said sli or crossfire in the future.

Back