First time making a PC, don't know what PSU to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, kinda new here so im not sure if this is in the right place, im making a computer, first time soo... anyway! theses are the new comps specs

Case - Element V
Radeon HD5870
24" LCD
Core i7 930
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
1TB SATAII- x2
SATA Blu-ray Burner
Corsair 8GB 1600 C9

but heres my problem, i have no idea what PSU to get, any help will be GREATLY appreciated so thank you.

it will mostly be use for gaming if thats any help.

You could probably use a lower wattage power supply - my i7 has a 400 watt PSU (came prebuilt from dell) with a 4850 gfx card but its relatively low powered. I would go with a 650watt as minimum nowadays but that 850watt powersupply has a lot of room for upgrading later. You could easily add a second graphics card further down for the line. Corsair is a good brand too.

The PSU that magaman598 is very good but fairly too powerful in terms of Watt. As Yukka mentioned you may get another one with lower wattage but you need to know what type of graphic card you will be using and if they will be crossfire or not.

Actually, when it comes to PSUs you actually want to pay attention to the +12V Rail because everything in your computer runs off of said +12V Rail. So, in other words, you can have say, a 400W SLI/Crossfire certified PSU with maybe... 40-50 Amps on the +12V Rail. That's more than enough for two GPUs, although, finding a 400W PSU with a massive 40-50 Amp +12V Rail is highly unlikely.

I'm personally running a Corsair 650W Modular PSU and I'm loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back