First time PC builder seeking info and advice

Techspot newbi. I like this sight a lot. Great info. I have never built a machine and have been buying used since 1988. I wish there were a way to upgrade my emachine because it has been a wonderful tough as nails work horse for me. But I want to build something that I can upgrade as needed to keep up. Anyway...I am not a gamer, I am a writer and my emachine is fine for that. I do enjoy streaming video and would like to improve graphics. So basically I want a machine to stream a higher quality picture. I hope this query is not to stupid. Thanks in advance. Steve sk1951

You would need the following for upgrade:
  • motherboard
  • CPU
  • memory
  • operating system
The next to newest Intel release would be something along these lines. The 7000 series is their newest release.
Your looking at roughly $300 to upgrade using Intel parts. I opted for an i3 since you mentioned you may not need much processing power. If you are wanting to go with AMD, I'd wait a bit longer for them to release their new Ryzen platform.

I say you build an alright rig for writing and streaming.
Here is what I recommend...
1.A 2.30GHZ up to 3GHZ processor:I have one that Im using right now and it has quick respose time with writing and it handles multitasking at an ok up to good rate.
2.A 2GB up to 3GB graphics card:I have a 1GB graphics card and it can run not a big quantity of games and if this is my case you should go for double or triple this power
3.4GB up to 8GB of RAM:Ok so I have 4GB of RAM in my build right now and I think all thats needed is 4GB or 6GB of RAM
4.The OS...Personally I love to use Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 10 Professional in my case I use Windows 10 Professional. If you are picking one or the other make sure its 64X.

Back