Fitbit unveils Charge and Charge HR fitness bands, Surge fitness 'superwatch'

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Wearable fitness-tracking device maker Fitbit has unveiled three new activity and sleep-tracking products: the Charge, Charge HR, and Surge.

Cheapest of the three and the only one available today, the Fitbit Charge is a refreshed version of the company's Force fitness tracker, which was recalled earlier this year following complaints of skin irritation from wearers.

The $130 device tracks your everyday activity like steps taken, distance travelled, calories burned, floors climbed, and monitors sleep quality. In addition, you can also set it up with your smartphone to display a name or number with incoming calls. The company claims that the wristband offers up to 7 days of battery life.

Next up is the Charge HR, which offers pretty much all the features of Charge, but is aimed at more active users who want a full picture of their health – in and out of the gym. It also features Fitbit’s proprietary PurePulse optical heart rate technology, which the company claims provides continuous and automatic wrist-based heart rate monitoring.

The $150 device has a battery life of up to 5 days, and will be available early next year.

Finally, there's the Fitbit Surge which the company says is its most advanced tracker to date. The "Fitness Super Watch", as the company calls it, includes all the features of the previous two products, plus built-in GPS for collecting stats like pace, distance, elevation, split times, route history, and more, as well as smartwatch features including Caller ID, text alerts, and mobile music control.

It is also capable of recording multi-sport activities like running, cross-training, and strength workouts. The $250 device, which features 8 sensors, has a battery life of 7 days, and like Charge HR, will be available early next year.

Permalink to story.

I like the idea but why does it need to be in a watch? Why not a small thin credit card size object I can fit in my wallet or just drop it in any pocket I wish? All this hardware doesn't need to be in a watch for it to be useful.

I like the idea but why does it need to be in a watch? Why not a small thin credit card size object I can fit in my wallet or just drop it in any pocket I wish? All this hardware doesn't need to be in a watch for it to be useful.
I reckon it would be hard to sense your pulse through your butt.

Back