Fix Corrupted Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had a laptop shut down because the power outlet pin was broken and I didn't know it. The shop was able to take out the H.D. and I was able to copy over to an external drive all the important docs, pics, music, video etc.

HOWEVER, now I cannot backup to CD any of the files on the external. They all appear to be "OK" - I have opened pictures, opened excel files etc.

I would just like to get a backup copy of what we put on the external but it fails and says there are "too many errors". Any ideas on how to fix this.

What happens when you copy 1 or a few at a time?
You may be trying to copy too much (Gigs) in one shot, and Windows just runs out of resources

I've noticed running CCleaner helps when this happens

I did try as a test to move several directories of pictures to my hard drive and then back up from there but I got the same errors.

Do you suggest using something other than nero to back up the files?

Well I like Nero !

Hmm "cyclic redundancy error", refers to the discs themselves (in my view)

I've got another idea :)

Turn off all things running (including Antivirus/Firewall - And Internet too - ie network cable out)
Have a look at Ctrl + Alt + Del (Task Manager) and end any not needed (known of course) service
You can even run Startup Control Panel and stop everything, and then restart (this is reversible)
Then burn again :) (new disc again)

I even opened one of the jpgs in Photoshop

Cut out the picture

Put it into a new file

Tried backing up the new file - no go

You are a godsend!!!!!

That is exactly what it was - the files are fine thank god and everyone else. It was the Nero. Used a different machine with Nero on it and had no problem whatsoever.

Thank you again for helping with this. I thought for sure that when the laptop just "turned off" that it had somehow trashed all the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back