Fixing Computer help, and RAM questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have a Gateway M-6882h Notebook. Within the past few weeks I've been getting the "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" blue screen error, and random freezing frequently. Both started happening months ago, just far less frequently, and I thought they were caused by a virus, malware, or some sort of an infection. I got fed up and restored the system to it's factory default setting, thinking it would fix these errors. Strangely enough, my computer worked perfectly for 12 hours or so, and then they crashes started happening just as frequently as before. I've read up on the "DRIVER_IRQL..." error, and I know it's often caused by bad RAM (I've heard it can happen due to corrupt files or drivers, but I think that's unlikely due to the restore I did).

Now, I should mention that my laptop can heat up very easily, and I've heard that otherM-6882h's are known for this too. My theory is that the heat could have somehow damaged my ram stick. Or sticks, since I have no idea how many are inside my laptop, only that the RAM is "4GB DDR2". So these are my questions:

1. Could heat have caused damage to the RAM?
2. How can I tell how many sticks are inside my computer without opening it up?
3. If I need to replace the RAM, is there any specific kind I need? Or is it Compatible with any kind?

If there is any other information you need I can give it, and If there is any additional advice you can give me, I'd deeply appreciate it.

It could be your RAM, sure, but don’t rule everything else out yet. Test your RAM with Memtest86 and move from there. Download the ISO, create a bootable CD with it and let the test run for a while.

Most (if not all) laptops only have two slots for RAM, and being that 4GB modules are pretty expensive, I’d bet almost anything that you have two 2GB modules.

I would have to guess that the likelihood of heat damaging your RAM is unlikely. The modules themselves are pretty low-powered and don’t get all that hot, and it’s not like they’re folded over on top of your chipset or CPU.

Worry about replacing the RAM after you determine that it’s to blame.

Alternatively, you could remove one of the two modules and see if the blue screens stop. If they continue, swap the modules and again, see if the errors stop.

Ok, thanks. I still don't know what I'm going to do though. I really have no experience with taking a computer apart and working with hardware. I think I'm going to have to just take it to Staples. I bought it there, so If they can't fix this, I may be able to get it replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back