'Flappy Bird' creator to pull hit game from app stores

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Flappy Bird’s run as the most popular app atop multiple charts will soon be coming to an end. That’s because the game’s developer, Dong Nguyen, has decided to remove the game from the App Store and Google Play on Sunday.

Apparently the ‘stress’ of having one of the top games in the world right now is just too much for Nguyen. In a message on Twitter, the developer said he would be pulling the game around noon on Sunday. He apologized and said he simply couldn’t take it anymore.

Nguyen assured everyone that the decision wasn’t related to legal issues and he also claimed he hadn’t sold the game.

Whether or not he actually removes the game remains to be seen. If what he said about not selling the game and not running into legal trouble is true, the decision is even more puzzling. After all, the game is generating more than $50,000 in ad revenue per day. It’ll likely continue to do so for a bit longer even if the game disappears but… why turn away even more money?

One possible explanation is that it’s a bluff that is being used to generate even more downloads but for now, we’ll give Nguyen the benefit of the doubt. Maybe being thrust into the limelight really is just too much to deal with right now.

Either way, Nguyen still has some other games available for download including Super Ball Juggling (ranked #5 in the App Store) and Shuriken Block (No. 25). His most recent tweet said he still makes games.

Permalink to story.

Andrew Sorcini ‏@MrBabyMan 2h

.@dongatory Don't worry #flappybird fans. I'm sure @Zynga will have a ripoff knockoff by yesterday.

lol

RsI9t.gif

@NTAPRO they already have various ripoffs and the best one with best graphics so far is Clumsy Bird.

techlivewire.com/4911/clumsy-bird-is-a-game-similar-to-flappy-bird.html

"One possible explanation is that it’s a bluff that is being used to generate even more downloads"

..no doubt about it.

Man it is horrible, that Flappy Bird game looks like it has been done without care to the actual game player in mind. I tested Flappy Bird and also tested Clumsy Bird and clearly Clumsy is the winner because unlike Flappy Clumsy doesn't fall down too fast. The game maker should have slowed fall rate because Flappy Bird falls waay to fast and thats how people end up hitting the bottom pipe. I scored higher on Clumsy Bird than Flappy Bird. I've also noticed that in Flappy Bird, if you are even slightly close to that pipe itself, you will end up losing. Game maker again should have gotten these details right, anyone can test this fact of Flappy Bird hitting the air right next to the Pipe and not the pipe itself but yet losing.

He probably earned his goal "$1million in the bank right now!" lol I know if I had ripped off some copyright stuff I would pull it once I earned my lifetime goal xD

OMG. I dont know what is so special about this game but it has everybody talking so I am going to go an download it right now before it is gone forever......I hope they didnt raise the price before I can get to it....oh please tell me this isn't happening....I must have that game on my phone right now or I will miss my chance-of-a-lifetime to be part of the 'flappy birds' community of players because you know once its gone it will NEVER come back again....thats exactly how these things work with such eccentric developers...oh please I hope its not too late......

RIP Flappy Bird.

I dont understand why someone who is making $50,000 a day just from ads would want to call it quits. Eh, its his choice. I just find it fascinating and shocking.

It's been pulled.

Nice PR stunt. Now everyone will be expecting the next game from the 'creator of Flappy Bird'. No one in their right mind pulls it down if it's generating thousands.

I'm from Vietnam and there's a rumor here saying he got sued by Nintendo and the General Department Of Taxation here has started to investigate him because he's made too much money without paying a single tax that's why he had to pull the game asap.

I'm from Vietnam and there's a rumor here saying he got sued by Nintendo and the General Department Of Taxation here has started to investigate him because he's made too much money without paying a single tax that's why he had to pull the game asap.
Now that I believe, to be honest I was about to say theres no way this is not a PR stunt because if my game was making 50k a day I would not pull it.

I would believe that because that game was a blatant copy of Nintendo NES Mario games.

I played this game because of Techspot but most of those ad clicks happen because as you are trying to flap your wings the ad come up almost full screen. Impossible not to click.

I'm guessing he pulled it due to legal pressure (or just the threat of legal pressure), since many of the graphics are blatant mario rip offs... And possibly to avoid a little investigation into a bunch of allegations that he used bots to artificially pump up the app ranking. So much controversy surrounding such a little game.

I'd have to agree that @miluthui is probably on to something as well, that much money super fast can be a tax nightmare in any country.

Although, if you think about it, this COULD be an absolutely brilliant marketing ploy. How many people are going to keep playing it, start playing it again if they had it loaded before, or find and sideload it now, since it's suddenly such big news? And, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't he continue to receive the ad revenue unless he closes down his account? (I think it's Adsense he's using) He could theoretically still be pulling in $50+k a day, but have the game pulled to dodge legal action by saying it's no longer available.

This is the face of Flappy Bird's creator for those who are curious about how he looks like:

ad_126801656.jpg

I must say his face kinda looks like the stupid bird in his game :D

Back