Flash Drive Not In 'My Computer'

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current issue began when one day my computer just suddenly failed to start recognizing my flash drive in Windows Explorer. It would show up in device manager and seem installed properly but it would not show up in Disk Management OR My Computer.

I did some research and found out a few possible solutions to my current problem and looked into mapping it in disk management and found something quite interesting. The only drive actually IN the Disk Management area was the CD-Rom, both of my HDD's were non-existant there.....yet they can be found in every other aspect such as Device Manager and My Computer.

I searched some more and happened onto someone who seemed to be having the same exact problem I was having but seemed to fix it with no obvious solution I could discover in the thread.

I did the Spyware/Malware removal steps verbatim listed in another part of the forum and am attatching my 3 logs as requested. Here is my computer info:

Windows XP SP3
Pentium 4 2.5Ghz
1024mb RAM
128mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
111GB Western Digital HDD

AVG Internet Security 8.5
Program version: 8.5.287

Also even after doing all required malware/spyware removal things I'm still getting pop-ups in my browser for the program SpywareRemover2009 which is pretty obviously malware redirecting.

Any resolutions to these issues would be much appreciated as I cannot even currently burn DVD's due to the problems at hand and I have data I would like to save, some of it irreplacable.
Virus Database version: 270.12.2/2074

1) Start by looking here USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates

2) Then check here. Follow troubleshooting and verify if both drivers get installed for your flash device? Is it just Logical Disk Management that fails? See this Guide Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive

3) Don't recall if it applies, Windows released a new KB for some similar issue (i'll have to look/find it and update this post sometime soon with info for you (or u might be able to find it yourself) it was dated February, 2009 from MS)

Anyway, follow up (on these) plus your virus check and post back. see if u find/see anything

I've reviewed all of that USB information already and none of the solutions fix my problem at all. I have no partitioned drives at all. It's 2 hard drives with only single partitions and a DVD Drive.

The virus scan found a bunch of hidden files and one hidden driver in the system32 directory but did not identify them as threats.

In the Disk Management area the only drive listed is the DVD Drive, no other drive. Neither of the 2 hard drives. Yet both HDDs are in 'My Computer' and fully accessible.

I have all downloads from Microsoft that are available, wether they pertained to anything involving USB at all or not. My computer is fully up to date unless they released something else 20 minutes ago.

But you first start in Device Manager (per the guide). have you confirmed Windows has installed the two drivers? (Confirm the steps prior to disk managmenent and indicate the result please)

/* EDIT */
That is, check on the 2 drivers for your USB flash drive
Then can discuss other drive plus LDM issues
Also before getting into your driver/LDM issues too far, would prefer one of the malware people first give your system their OK

/* EDIT2 */
In fact, i suggest you put another post in the Malware forum to get your logs reviewed ( i just noticed is in the Network and Storage forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back