Folders no longer visible, possible corruption

Hi there.

I recently moved some folders which are on an external hard drive, into a new folder on that drive, called "August re-sort".
A few days later, windows was running a backup, and the USB cable to the drive came disconnected.

Most likely as a result of the above incident, the new folder is no longer visible.

I ran CHKDSK with the /F command and it found an index entry for that folder, or that it was unindexed, but looks as if it had deleted the entry, and the folder is still not appearing, after the chkdsk ran. Interesting chkdsk text relating to the process is as follows:
"Deleting index entry August Re-sort in index $I30 of file 40992.
CHKDSK is scanning unindexed files for reconnect to their original directory.
CHKDSK is recovering remaining unindexed files.
Unindexed files recovered.

If you have any advice on how I can recover this folder, and the data within it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

You can try a data recovery application, it may be able to recover the data. I use GetDataBack but there are others.

If you're using the external drive for a backup, where's the original data?

You can try a data recovery application, it may be able to recover the data. I use GetDataBack but there are others.

If you're using the external drive for a backup, where's the original data?

All of my important data's on my laptop, and simply backed up to this external drive, however the corrupted files are some that are only on the external, so it'll teach me to keep a backup of that too! I'll give GetDataBack a go, thanks for your quick reply.

Back