Ford's software update for police interceptors combats Covid-19 by cranking the heat

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: The feature is meant to supplement existing sanitation methods, not replace them. Heat, Ford said, has the ability to penetrate crevices and other hard-to-reach areas that could get overlooked when humans manually apply chemical disinfectants.

Ford on Wednesday announced it is piloting a software solution to help law enforcement curb the spread of Covid-19 inside police interceptor utility vehicles.

When activated, the feature triggers the vehicle’s powertrain and climate control system to work together to elevate the temperature in the passenger compartment. Once the target temperature (at least 133 degrees Fahrenheit) is reached, the system maintains the temp for a period of 15 minutes.

(The "Sanitation Sketch" Ford supplied the media.)

According to Jeff Jahnes and Jesse Kwiek, laboratory supervisors at The Ohio State University department of microbiology, testing indicates that exposing Coronaviruses to temperatures of 56 degrees Celsius (132.8 degrees Fahrenheit) for 15 minutes reduces the viral concentration by more than 99 percent on interior surfaces and materials found inside police interceptors.

Ford has already conducted successful trials with vehicles owned and operated by the New York City Police Department as well as departments in Los Angeles, Massachusetts, Ohio, Michigan and Florida.

The automaker said departments can install the software solution on 2013-19 police interceptor utility vehicles in their fleets.

Permalink to story.

I can just see some bright, young, ambulance chasers try to offer that as a defense when some ***** leaves their children in the car on a sunny day. "honestly, your honor, my client was sure her children were infected with Covit-19 and were just trying to cure them" ..........

I accidentally left my perp in the backseat of the car and the car roasted them to death.

You do realize this is a country where children and pets routinely die in this manner?

I can just see some bright, young, ambulance chasers try to offer that as a defense when some ***** leaves their children in the car on a sunny day. "honestly, your honor, my client was sure her children were infected with Covit-19 and were just trying to cure them" ..........
Not all heroes wear capes.

Can you imagine, your out running, you get home, cop drives past, you walk out to go to work and your body temp is hot because you were training and had a hot shower, they arrest you for having Covid-19... wait, you had a cold.. wait you had a shower....wait you had a run... wait...the cops just ignored a woman's cry for help being raped by a man down the road because they had sensors who told them you had covid.... more f0000ked up gov control ****

This is dumb AF. Heat doesn't kill corona virus at-least not the heat from your heater and turning on internal air that circulates throughout the cabin would guarantee you get corona as well. Best bet would be to crack the windows open so the air does not recirculate.

This is dumb AF. Heat doesn't kill corona virus at-least not the heat from your heater and turning on internal air that circulates throughout the cabin would guarantee you get corona as well. Best bet would be to crack the windows open so the air does not recirculate.

If you read the article, it apparently does work, and they explain why.

I just had two squads ran through this process last week, and it’s a specific request you personally initiate, that would have a very hard time “accidentally” being triggered.

I’m obviously not a scientist, I catch stupid people. But it’s a very helpful tool to have, assuming that it does in fact work. In dealing with the public on a daily basis, this could help significantly in reducing officer contact with the virus.

If you read the article, it apparently does work, and they explain why.

I just had two squads ran through this process last week, and it’s a specific request you personally initiate, that would have a very hard time “accidentally” being triggered.

I’m obviously not a scientist, I catch stupid people. But it’s a very helpful tool to have, assuming that it does in fact work. In dealing with the public on a daily basis, this could help significantly in reducing officer contact with the virus.
Oh so I have been venting patients in the iCU wrong all this time if only I just blew in very hot air the Corona would just vanish! Yeah ok! No offense but the article makes some wild claims which is in fact just a normal heater!! Its a big advertisement not a single bit of science involved.

Oh so I have been venting patients in the iCU wrong all this time if only I just blew in very hot air the Corona would just vanish! Yeah ok! No offense but the article makes some wild claims which is in fact just a normal heater!! Its a big advertisement not a single bit of science involved.

Don’t know brother, I’m not a doctor or scientist. However, I would state that blowing 133F heat into a living person wouldn’t go over well. This is just for minimizing surface contamination, it doesn’t look like it’s marketed as a cure-all.

Back