Format my pc question

andrew mcfadden

I am going to format my hard drive on another computer using a sata/ide cable,and need to know if it is going to take a lot of hours to do this,is it possible to stop the format if not complete,and start it the next day.
Will the disk be formatted to a certain point,and the next day,will it continue from that point,or will it start from the beginning again,?My hard drive is 1tb.

regards for any help
Andrew

Of course better not stop in the midway.
I think the time it takes based on how many data on the hard drive.

It doesn't hurt anything to stop a format. However before the disk can be used again, the format must be completed. And if you stop a format, the process will start at the beginning again. So basically if you don't have time to complete the format, it will be a waste of time starting it.

This process can be annoying if the computer doing the formatting goes to sleep and suspends the formatting.

You can avoid this by setting the formatting computer to not go to sleep, or to run an application that keeps it from being inactive, and so keeps it from going to sleep. On some of my computers, if I play a music file on repeat, the computer will not go to hibernation - I think that is a better solution than temporarily changing the hibernate settings.

Back