Format or Delete Partition

Jad Chaar

I am planning on clean installing Windows 7, but I do not get the difference between formatting and deleting. When you do a custom install of windows, you get the option to delete or format. Which option should I choose? I am used to just deleting all partitions and just creating a new one to start from scratch, but is formatting any different?

Formating will erase the partition, however a partition must exist before hand.
Deleting a partition will allow you to create a new partition of varying size.
Keep in mind that the partition will still need to be formated after one is created.

Think of it this way:
Partition defines the borders, while formating defines the table type within.

If you delete the partition you will end up with unallocated space and will need to make a new partition. If you format it, it'll just erase all the data on that partition.

Thanks. So if I delete the current partition I have, and then click New, I will be good to go right?

Formating is fine, unless you want to change partition sizes. Even then the partition can be resized without deleting the partition.

Formating is fine, unless you want to change partition sizes. Even then the partition can be resized without deleting the partition.

I have a OEM (Lenovo) laptop, so I have a 30GB partition for drivers. I want to delete that and create one large partition. So I guess I have to delete. Thanks for the help.

Back