Format Slave Drive Through Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

If its a brand new hard drive it doesn't have any partitions set up, thats why you can't see it. You have to use fdisk to create a partition, then you can format it.

Hi,
Well done SNGX1275,
You've just answered a question that won't be asked until tomorrow.
(That's if the dates & times are anything to go by )
I'll have some of whatever you're drinking!!!!ha ha.

mickzer

mickzer said:
Hi,
Well done SNGX1275,
You've just answered a question that won't be asked until tomorrow.
(That's if the dates & times are anything to go by )
I'll have some of whatever you're drinking!!!!ha ha.

mickzer
Yeh, just got my time machine working yesterday :)

What would really be cool is if I'd be like the Oracle in The Matrix and see if he'd still ask the question if I had already answered it. ie - I could delete his original post, only leaving me quoting him and my response :)

I can't remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday let alone remember the in's & out's of Windows 98. Got a question, see if anyone can help me out on this one. I took a look at it and my brain is drawing a blank.
Old Dell with Windows 98 on. Friend needed more space so I added a slave drive (WD80GB). DOS setup is recognizing the new harddrive (have that set on auto), but Windows 98 is not. It's a brand new harddrive so it shouldn't needed formatting, but because of Windows 98 I'm thinking it does (Gotta love the older systems & new hardware/software). But I can't remember how to format a slave drive through Windows 98 since XP has made it so easy & convienent. Someone want to refresh my memory? Would GREATLY appreciate it.

Sparkz said:
I can't remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday let alone remember the in's & out's of Windows 98. Got a question, see if anyone can help me out on this one. I took a look at it and my brain is drawing a blank.
Old Dell with Windows 98 on. Friend needed more space so I added a slave drive (WD80GB). DOS setup is recognizing the new harddrive (have that set on auto), but Windows 98 is not. It's a brand new harddrive so it shouldn't needed formatting, but because of Windows 98 I'm thinking it does (Gotta love the older systems & new hardware/software). But I can't remember how to format a slave drive through Windows 98 since XP has made it so easy & convienent. Someone want to refresh my memory? Would GREATLY appreciate it.

Must really be a bad day, run a DOS Box and just run Fdisk and then do what you would normally do, or restart in MS-DOS mode and do it that way,

The youth are spoilt today with XP doing everything for them....lol

Hello Sparkz,
Did you try computer management?
But I think the problem is that your new HDD is NTFS, but Win98 supports only FAT32.
So try to format from BIOS.

hi

80 gig drive... might be a hardware issue, older MObO's need a cd to help them, as for a slave into a machine, is this already formatted to NTFS? as in pre-done? and if its new (out of box) you are correct in saying you shouldnt need to format it. a blank drive will just run as a blank storage drive...

cheers

ru_ready said:
and if its new (out of box) you are correct in saying you shouldnt need to format it. a blank drive will just run as a blank storage drive
No if its new out of the box he will have to format it, they don't come pre-formatted. But you can't even do that until you have set up at least 1 partition on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back