Formatted (XP): No sound, no internet, no usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven0

Yes it is another one of these posts, I've googled & read about 20 of posts alike - but no solution. Formatted the computer, which was working exactly fine before.

Installed XP, noticed its got no sound, can't connect to the internet, doesn't read USBs and it doesn't have MS Office (which I don't know how to install). Yes it will have to be something along the lines of installing the drivers. The important thing is that the USB drive is needed to be installed, which I do not know how to. So downloading stuff might not be the best thing until thats resolved. Downloaded some "Everest" thingy, apparently it diagnoses which drivers are missing except its on the USB and the computer doesn't read it. So that's not helping at the moment.

The mainboard is: nVidia GeForce4 MX-440 VGA
(v.4.17.00.24.60 if thats relevant)
I also have a "VGA Card Drivers, Ver 207-02 disc, if it helps

Sound problem:
I have the "Drivers & Utilities" disc
I'm trying to install sound to it, don't know which one to install, so I tried installing everything I could find in the "Sound" folder, but installation terminated (perhaps not the correct one to install). Went into control panel it says "no audio devices" and its all grey and frozen,(only 2 tabs work).

USB Problem:
Put in the USB and nothing happens at all, no notices or icons in "my computer".

Internet:
It's a DLink wireless modem, but its all hooked up - its the main one. Don't know how to connect to the internet.

Some pictures are included to somehow help.
Anyways, thanks in advance guys if you can help.

You'll most likely need to get ahold of the motherboard chipset drivers.

Check for missing drivers in Device Manager and make a list of devices that need to be installed. If there are some unknowns, you can make a note and check again after the chipset drivers are installed. Since your USB devices aren't working, but you have a working CD/DVD drive, you can download and copy the files to blank media on another computer, or just try to find them on a disk that came with your computer or motherboard.

Easiest fix for now would be to download and burn an Ubuntu cd and install that on your computer. Ubuntu usually contains all of the drivers for your computer and everything should work from the start. Only thing is you have to plug an ethernet cable in to the computer to install whatever drivers are needed by Linux after the OS installs. Give it s shot it can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back