Formatting new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNagual

Hello, and thanks in advance.

Just picked up: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1500GB 1.5TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive OEM

I need the space for the video editing I like to play around with. When I try and format the disk it gets stuck at 73% every time.

I am running Vista32 on a Dell 630i

I do not see any updates on the Dell site that I am missing as far as chipset drivers etc

Defective Seagate. The problem is known to them. Usually the vendor will replace it, then await your return of the defective one.

Cheers!

I just downloaded and ran the Seagate Tools to confirm, and yes, it failed the short generic test.

Just picked up the replacement and when I run the 'generic quick test" in the Seatools disk check program this one fails too...

It passes my main hard drive, but this new one can't. Two in a row? Damn.

to Don, perhaps you should try reformatting the drive via OS disk if you haven't already and maybe return the Seagate and use a Western Digital. I don't know exactly what is wrong, but perhaps there is some kind of hardware conflict. What is the cache size of your primary hard drive?

Figured it out.

The chipset drivers on the Dell site were up to date on my system, but nvidia had newer drivers on their site. Downloaded, installed, done.

Thanks for the help, as always!

My guess is that there was damage in shipping to your vendor. We have seen the same problem with Western Digital and Samsung. The nice thing is that Western Digital will ship directly and await the return of your defective drive before billing you.
We use a great number of drives in repairs and upgrades. Seagate has been the most reliable for our shops for over three years... but they all have occasional glitches...

Our worst luck has been with those shipped from New Egg and Tiger Direct.

Turned out that the hard drive is fine. Was simply the nforce chipset driver being out of date.

I do not see any updates on the Dell site that I am missing as far as chipset drivers etc
Turned out that the hard drive is fine. Was simply the nforce chipset driver being out of date.
That's a bit confusing :confused:
Here's your Dell Drivers (only) page, if you are missing any others: http://support.dell.com/support/dow...temID=XPS_630I&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

Also here is Vista SP2 which hopefully you have already: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...431-4d00-afa3-99ff6f22448d&displaylang=en

Sorry if that was confusing. Basically, the nforce drivers directly from nvidia's website are newer than the ones listed on the Dell site.

By downloading and installing the ones directly from nvidia the problem was solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back