Fortnite team kicked from tournament following ill-advised tweet

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: If you're competing in a Fortnite tournament, it's probably inadvisable to tag the game's boss in a tweet suggesting he kill himself. All three members of a team were disqualified from the $3m Fortnite Champion Series (FNCS) tournament after one of them failed to heed this advice.

Fortnite player Wrigley tagged Chief Creative Officer at Epic Games, Donald Mustard, in a deleted tweet that read: "Like literally f**king k!ll your$elf @DonaldMustard."

Wrigley and his teammates Dictate and Userz had just finished their sixth game in the tournament and were lying at the bottom of the table with six games still to go in the cup's NA East prize pool. But even last position would have guaranteed them some prize money from the $690,000+ pot. Sadly, Wrigley's tweet ensured neither he nor his team mates would see a penny.

On March 14, Dictate tweeted an email he received from Epic Games explaining his team had been disqualified.

"We are writing to inform you of your team's disqualification and removal from the Chapter 2 Season 5 FNCS competition, effective immediately. Based on an internal investigation, a member of your team has violated Section 8.1.2 of the official rules," it stated. According to that rule, "players must be respectful of other players, Event Administrators, spectators, and sponsors (as applicable)."

Disqualification means all three team members will leave empty-handed. Dictate has asked for the last-place prize money, while Userz has suggested the team should have been allowed to replace Wrigley.

"Just played this whole season for $0 oh my f**king god," Dictate tweeted. "Can I at least have my $600 bro child support ain't cheap @DonaldMustard."

Thanks, Eurogamer

Permalink to story.

Action and reaction. People learn the hard way that their actions have consequences. But, personally I wouldn't ban the entire team for the stupid actions of a 16yo.

On a more personal note: why would the bottom team get prize money? O_o

Last edited:
That's an expensive lesson on how not to be an id!ot.

Though, the teammates I would hope get a little bit more grace here. Epic can certainly afford it lol

Unfortunately it's a job - if your team, or specifically any member in your team at work leads to the complete sinking of a project... You are all in jeopardy of getting s**tcanned.

Hopefully it'll be a life lesson for these kids of accountability, and how important teamwork is in all facets.

There's always a polite version of "Would you drop dead, please!". Kids, they don't know how to express emotions properly.

So if there's a tennis tournament... and your partner gets DQ'd for being an @ssh0le...you feel you should get to name an "emergency partner" and keep playing?

Here's the beauty of team sports (no matter how inane we might feel e-sports may or may not be) - one of your players Fs up, the rest of you suffer.

Life lesson learned I hope...

Action and reaction. People learn the hard way that their actions have consequences. But, personally I wouldn't ban the entire team for the stupid actions of a 16yo.

One person on your team loses, you all lose. It's a team effort, not single player effort. You have a dickhead on your team that runs his mouth and he gets ejected, guess what....you're part of the team and you have to follow. It happens to the best of athletes, even in dodgeball.

Sounds a lot like golf - just because you didn't place first at the tournament, doesn't mean you leave empty handed. 1st place gets top prize spot and so on and so forth until even the bottom tier folks get a little something.

Depends on the tournament organizers and the scale of the tournament. I've hosted or participated in many with either of those across various games lol. The bigger the prize pool, the better chance of more payouts .

It's perfectly fine for them to type any and everything they want ..... just remove the "return" key beforehand ....

To be fair, given their ages, they are probably used to getting participation awards.
They all play this game professionally, for a living. A professional performer's ability to feed themself in any venue should not be based on their performance. The ones who do better should earn more in prize money, but there's a minimum of a basic per-diem here, the team that came last still made those hosting the contest way more than $60/per person and giving them nothing is not especially far from the kind of nightmarish **** people used to pull in the gilded age.Some of us are just more okay with that kind of unnecessary cruelty than others, presumably based on the idea the youngsters are all entitled narcissists because people were too nice to them, sitting in an actual building they were able to own without being in the top half a percent of their class at a top-10 school in their program. Hard to imagine a theory of mind for such a person, they'd probably think the 'participation trophy' joke, and it's only ever one joke repeated ad nauseam with barely any variation, its own setup and punchline, are actually funny.

Back