Forza Horizon 4 is coming to Steam on March 9

Humza

Staff member
What just happened? Microsoft and Playground Games have announced that Forza Horizon 4 will be launching on Steam next month. It's a first for Xbox's long-running racing franchise, which will arrive on Valve's platform with full crossplay support for existing versions (Windows 10, Xbox Console, and Cloud). All of the game's DLC released to date (Fortune Island, Lego Speed Champions, and several car packs) will be launching alongside the standard version as well as the upcoming Hot Wheels Legends DLC.

Despite coming out in 2018 and improving upon an existing formula going further back still, Forza Horizon 4 is still one of the best open-world arcade racers today, thanks to a huge collection of cars, exciting game modes, and scenic British countryside that's equally enjoyable while cruising in a vintage red Honda S800 or when maxing out the raging Ferrari 599xx Evo.

The only things marring the experience have been microtransactions and - for PC gamers - Microsoft Store exclusivity on Windows 10. Thankfully, the latter will no longer be the case next month when the game launches on Steam.

PC players of Forza Horizon 4 would have loved for this to happen years ago, but it's a case of better late than never, and probably means that we'll see future installments (like the next Motorsport sequel) getting the same treatment. Fans of the game on PC will also be able to avoid Microsoft Store's foibles and take advantage of Valve's robust, feature-rich client that offers a much better user experience overall, provided they cough up for this new version.

Pricing for Forza Horizon 4 is yet to be revealed, though it can now be wishlisted on Steam. A full $60 for the standard version is unlikely, considering that the game came out in September 2018. It will, however, greatly benefit from Valve's playerbase that recently drew a whopping 26.4 million concurrent users.

Permalink to story.

Buying through the Windows Store allows full Play Anywhere capabilities where you buy on PC or Xbox and play on both with cloud save support. Can anyone explain where the advantage is to buy from Steam?

Buying through the Windows Store allows full Play Anywhere capabilities where you buy on PC or Xbox and play on both with cloud save support. Can anyone explain where the advantage is to buy from Steam?
Not inevitably losing your purchase when MS pulls the plug on that shoddy excuse for an Apple app store, for one.

You act like nobody remembers Games for Windows Live was a thing.

Not inevitably losing your purchase when MS pulls the plug on that shoddy excuse for an Apple app store, for one.

Before they pull the plug they will give people time to migrate, hopefully.

Games for Windows Live was a thing, you are correct and it had issues. But they admitted where they went wrong. I agree the MS Store doesn't isn't great at least as far as having popular apps were used to elsewhere, but I've never had any issues with buying an Xbox game from the MS Store. I've never had slow downloads for first party games, or issues with updates. Play Anywhere is a great benefit and the reason I actually prefer buying games from the MS Store. I'm still able to access Forza Horizon 3 download and play through Xbox Live on PC and Xbox even though it's been removed from the store. The Microsoft Store isn't going to have the plug pulled like you speculate. You are projecting issues that really have no basis.

I see no reason to get an xbox so what's the point of play anywhere. And surely not going to play fast paced arcade game on phone. While buying it on steam allow me to play on Linux without issues. And steam as well have cloud save automatically, free, so it's a win as well.
And I don't have to live with crazy bad ms store, additional advantage.

Ho Lee Crap.

I've been waiting for this for a few years now and frankly didn't expect it'd ever happen. At one point I tried to set up an account with MS just to get the game and my f'ing PC really didn't like that for whatever reason. Well then, I know what I'll be playing on 3/9.

Ho Lee Crap.

I've been waiting for this for a few years now and frankly didn't expect it'd ever happen. At one point I tried to set up an account with MS just to get the game and my f'ing PC really didn't like that for whatever reason. Well then, I know what I'll be playing on 3/9.

Why, is it out in September?

Also - from Steam Store just now: "Steam Cloud, Requires 3rd-Party Account: Xbox Live (Supports Linking to Steam Account)".

So I'll pass - again.

I see no reason to get an xbox so what's the point of play anywhere. And surely not going to play fast paced arcade game on phone. While buying it on steam allow me to play on Linux without issues. And steam as well have cloud save automatically, free, so it's a win as well.

Good or bad, if signing into Steam is not good enough to play a game, its an easy pass for me. I learned that mistake with GTA.

I can't go on trying remember all these extra account(s).

And other reason - how about NOT passing more information to Microsoft?

Neither of my laptops or desktops are 'signed-in machines', and long may that continue.

Why, is it out in September?

Also - from Steam Store just now: "Steam Cloud, Requires 3rd-Party Account: Xbox Live (Supports Linking to Steam Account)".

So I'll pass - again.

Heh, some of us think backwards and some think backwards backwards. Aaaaand I need an Xbox Live account, which frankly I suspected but hoped wasn't necessary. I think I finally have one but I'm stumped if I can remember what's it's for.

Every game I bought with Games for Windows Live is still playable today as the developers released patches that allow the games to continue to be played. So not much of a problem.

You are confusing Xbox Live with XCloud gaming you get through Game Pass.

Every game I bought with Games for Windows Live is still playable today as the developers released patches that allow the games to continue to be played. So not much of a problem.
These people don't care about the truth about this. Their purpose was to come smear something they don't like. In my post I just asked a question and got the riot act. Tried listing a benefit of the MS Store and were triggered to the point that they said I shouldn't have an opinion.

I bought the DLC for Fallout 3 through GodaFWL, and yes, the content is playable today... because I backed it up, after hunting it down on my hard drive back in the 2010s and moving the files to backup media. If you're referring to game disks that originally connected to GFWL that have been patched after the fact to remove that, that is also a form of backup. If I went to Microsoft today asking for my Fallout 3 DLC, I'm pretty sure I would be SOL.

Considering Windows Store is designed to make it even more difficult to access these program files because "muh piracy, muh intellectual propertuh", you're unlikely to be able to perform this kind of backup as you could back then. So in that regard the Windows Store is even WORSE than GFWL was, and compares unfavorably to Steam and GoG, which both generally install game program files into accessible locations instead of locked down app packages, and the latter of which even offers offline backup options built-in to the service.

Tried listing a benefit of the MS Store and were triggered to the point that they said I shouldn't have an opinion.
Your opinion is bad.

Last edited:
You can stream to a Windows 10 PC as well. If you don't see value in it that's fine. It's pretty childish to attack someone's opinion. I'm not here attacking yours. Just because you don't see a benefit doesn't meant that others don't. I don't see the point in your comment other than trying to troll people who don't see things the same as you.

Back