Foxconn chief: We're making preparations for Apple iTV

Rick

Staff

Rumors of an "Apple TV" have persisted for many years now, but recently we've all been hearing an increasing number of hints that such a device may soon materialize. Thanks to a presumable slip-up from Foxconn chief Terry Gou, we now have unofficial confirmation that Apple is indeed planning a television, or "iTV", if you will.

Gou's gaff coincides nicely with rumors from last year which indicate an "iTV" might launch in Q2 and Q3 of 2012. Those rumors sprouted from information brought to light by Digitimes, an industry voyeur who keeps close tabs on overseas suppliers and electronics manufacturers.

By the way, I'll keep putting "iTV" in quotes since this name will be an unlikely choice for Apple. A British broadcaster by the same name has warned Apple that ITV is off-limits, so Apple may have to be a bit more creative than usual.

Gou added that development hadn't actually begun at the factory; moreover, Foxconn is simply preparing its facilities to produce the device.

Merely a week ago, sources from Cult of Mac claimed to have actually seen an Apple HDTV prototype. Those sources said the "iTV" will look very much like the company's current line up Cinema Displays, only much larger.

So, what might an "iTV" look like? Current information suggests we'll see 32-inch and 37-inch TV sets which will stream movies and shows through Apple's increasing number of media content deals. Such a television is expected to tie into Apple's iCloud service and be "far more than a TV", featuring apps, a gaming center, Siri voice-activation, an iSight camera and other tablet-like features.

Cnet kindly provides an exhuastive list of rumors, but little is known for sure other than the fact Gou claims Foxconn is working on one.

Permalink to story.

Rumors of an "Apple TV" have persisted for many years now, but recently we've all been hearing an increasing number of hints that such a device may soon materialize. Thanks...
Wow, that's just super. There were already ads on TV showing how you can use a $600.00 iPad as a remote control for your TV. I'm psyched for this! Will "iTV" also be available as a suppository, the same as the rest of their product?

Hey wait, I thought an iPad was supposed to be your TV. Dude, my head is spinning...

Soooooo, this presumable slip-up just happened to come after Ikea's big integrated TV announcement.

Wow, what a slip....I ....am ....surprised.

You know what would surprise me? Apple/Foxconn maybe giving consumers just enough credit so that they fabricate better lies to go along with their run of the mill hardware, walled garden OS, draconian business tactics, and lack of human compassion.

I won't even go into the issue of Apple being one of the biggest tax dodgers in the country.

I don't see iTV selling all that well for a couple reasons. Anyone who wanted a connected flat screen already has one, and that's an investment for most of us. Apple TV went exactly nowhere and this really just integrates it into the television. I don't know anyone who thinks that makes sense. Apple would have been smarter to simply put the iTunes store on existing TVs just like Hulu and everyone else is doing. Or do they not think they can compete outside the walled garden?

the iCry crowd strikes again! (see above)

This is my bet: In much the same fashion as the iPhone changed phones forever, these iTV's will do the same for the TV. The first major collaboration of all things into 1 unit. Take an Ipad and supersize it. But instead of touch interface, the Isight camera is Kinnect like and is the remote + have a remote for those that like remotes. It will be an awesome seller and will change how you think of TV's.

PS. I know its the "cool" thing to do now, but before you start crying about Apple, use the device before you judge. If it sucks for you, then it sucks for you, but why on earth would you possibly give a **** what anyone else likes? I couldn't care less if you like to wear pick panties and run around your house with 3d glasses on. Buy what works for you, not who makes it.

I guess this a challenge to all smartphone/tablet and tv manufacturers.

why don't you make a really smart tv with dock, such that whenever I connect my iDevice, the iDevice app will be loaded unto the tv and do its work; or when I connect my smartphone/tablet to the tv, the corresponding app will be loaded.

no need for googletv, itv...

the tv's milleu will be determined by whatever device I connect it to and without any external device, the manufacturer's tv app will do its usual work.

the tv's milleu will be determined by whatever device I connect it to and without any external device, the manufacturer's tv app will do its usual work.
My suggestion for "a device to connect to the TV" is, and will remain, a pair of rabbit ears....:D

Well those, and a DVD player.

I can't wait to see the Apple "iTv" self glorification adverts, could they turn out to be like thier old Mac Pc ones, "Hello I'm a Apple iTv" "And I'm a Samsung Tv"
Also when newer ones come out will they be badged 1,2,3,3s,4,4s or maybe Apple iTv, Apple iTv 2, New Apple iTv.
This will be interesting ^_^

. It will be an awesome seller and will change how you think of TV's.

No, it will change the way YOU think of TVs. Apple changes the way that *****s think.

My friend has had his PC hooked up since 2001, I followed about a year later. Most tech savvy people I know have had PCs hooked up to their TVs for over five or six years.

Only *****s who never thought of this idea, and are going to pay $3000 for what a simple HDMI cable would have accomplished, will see this as a game changer.

Only *****s who never thought of this idea, and are going to pay $3000 for what a simple HDMI cable would have accomplished, will see this as a game changer.
Excuse me, that's an "iCable to you buster.......;)

I think the Apple fan base should all rush out and buy 55 gallon drums of KY, in anticipation of this blessed event! Oops, I meant "iJelly"....

and anyone agreeing with captaincranky, say "iCaptain".

I think samsung will win if apple itv push thru.
(maybe apple will buy its hardware from samsung just like it did with its iphone hardware)

this is for [FONT=Helvetica]gwailo247[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica] , any tech ***** has had their tv hooked up to thier computer and even ones how aren't tech savvy. [/FONT]I took have had my PC hooked as my only media center since 2004. Its not a game changer for how you hook up to a tv, its a game changer to HOW you use WHATS hooked up to your tv. Watch and see.

by the way, I bet you used to cry about windows... now its just a different flavor.

[FONT=Helvetica]32-inch and 37-inch TV sets[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica]^ Fail. A TV less than 50 inches today is a no go from the start. 50, 55, 60 inches or they are selling these to people living in a box in the sky. [/FONT]

Back