Foxconn to manufacture ventilators at its Wisconsin factory

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Foxconn, best known for manufacturing Apple’s iPhones, is partnering with medical device company Medtronic to produce ventilators at its controversial Wisconsin plant, helping address a global shortage of the machines, which are vital in the treatment of severe cases of Covid-19.

Medtronic CEO Omar Ishrak revealed the partnership in an interview with CNBC, adding that the ventilators will be based on its PB-560 design and manufactured in the next four to six weeks.

Ishrak never said how many of the devices would be produced, but Foxconn, which confirmed the partnership today, said the companies hope to speed up production time so the ventilators can be put into use as soon as possible.

Fortune notes that Foxconn has been making face masks in China since February, while its subsidiary Sharp Corp. started producing them in Japan in March.

Since Foxconn chose Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, for its $10 billion manufacturing facility back in 2017, the site has been plagued by controversy. Environmentalists weren’t happy about plans to drain 7 million gallons of water from Lake Michigan every day, and the company missed job creation targets last year. In July 2019, it was revealed that the plant would open in 2020 with a workforce of just 1,500, or 320 short of what it needs to secure $4 billion in financial incentives from the state.

Foxconn previously announced that the Wisconsin plant would produce other items, including automated coffee- and tea-dispensing kiosks through a partnership with Texas-based Briggo, when it opens next month.

Several organizations are now manufacturing ventilators to help fight the Covid-19 pandemic, including Tesla, Ford, General Motors, MIT, Dyson, and more. The Mercedes F1 team, meanwhile, has created a breathing aid for patients.

Permalink to story.

There is no reason why unemployment in America of able body workers should ever arise beyond 1%. Hopefully the outrage from coronavirus will cause America to be forced to keep factories home for essential items.
"Environmentalists weren’t happy about plans to drain 7 million gallons of water from Lake Michigan every day, and the company missed job creation targets last year."

USA! USA! USA!

There is no reason why unemployment in America of able body workers should ever arise beyond 1%. Hopefully the outrage from coronavirus will cause America to be forced to keep factories home for essential items.
Your comments are hilarious and usually disconnected from reality.

Your comments are hilarious and usually disconnected from reality.

I don't post that often but I have noticed that your comments are far more often negative than not. Furthermore, you seem to be developing an unhealthy infatuation for posters like QuantumPhysics and Uncle Al. You might want to seek help for this condition before it develops into some form of derangement syndrome.

Back on topic, I'd just like to say that I am glad that these companies are doing this of their own volition. I would like to see more companies step up to the plate.

The cynic in me says that isn't going to happen.

Good political move. Now apple can say they're not really moving their Chinese manufacturing until after the elections show which way the wind blows.

I like the idea but America has never had an unemployment figure that low, not even during WW2. Of course we've never had one up to 30% (Great Depression was around 20%) so it's all uncharted territory. One of these days these factories are going to realize the untapped potential in Appalachia and build a factory there. With coal all but gone, this would be a captured workforce that would be grateful for the jobs but they need to be careful because UMW was terribly corrupt and the miners still believe in them.

I like the idea but America has never had an unemployment figure that low, not even during WW2. Of course we've never had one up to 30% (Great Depression was around 20%) so it's all uncharted territory. One of these days these factories are going to realize the untapped potential in Appalachia and build a factory there. With coal all but gone, this would be a captured workforce that would be grateful for the jobs but they need to be careful because UMW was terribly corrupt and the miners still believe in them.

Unfortunately UAW isn't any better. They're about as straight laced as our Congress.

Somewhere in an econ college course in the 70s there was a factoid buried that 4.5 to 5% unemployment is zero unemployment because there is a percentage of the population that can't be employed.

National Institute of Mental health: indicates this may be valid.

Capture.JPG

In a video, Professor Jordan Peterson alludes to an Army study or studies that depressed him. The study showed that an IQ of 80 or less cannot be taught to accomplish anything useful in the military.

Before Emperor Xi's Chinese Coronavirus coverup attempt, the Trump Administration was touting unemployment figures of 3%, lower than any time in US history. (I would like to see the real numbers there)

All of these numbers are the bottom of the bell curve in economics and money and were largely ignored except during election season and Trump bashing until cheap unskilled labor got very scarce .

I think I can safely say, Foxconn, no matter what it decides to make in the US or China or the rest of Asia, will not be employing these 1 in 20 workers even in a union power state.

Back