Free alternative to Peanut Butter PC?

LizBlake

Hi,
The computers at my kids' kindergarden use software from this company: www.peanutbuttersoftware.com. It appears to create a secure environment for the kids. E.g. locking down certain features like a kiosk. I'd like the same thing for home, but don't want to spend $24. Anyone have advice?

Thanks,
Liz

Liz

Best bet would be to browse what's available on Cnet in

Home > Windows Software > Security Software > Parental Control

There's some free programs there like Parental Lock Guard, but the features seem limited. If that 24 dollars at Peanut butter is a one time licensing fee, I'd argue that you can't really put a price on a child's safety and 24 bucks is a small sum to pay for good protection. If it's a monthly fee then you can look into these other solutions as they likely will only cost your configuration time and effort.

We all love freeware (me included!) but I also agree with Zilpha. i looked at the peanutbutter website, looks like it's a $25 one-time fee. The advantages
> You know the product works since the kids' school is using it
> You already know what it can do and lockdown: if the school is locking it down so can you
> In fact, if you find new features and things it can do, you can make sure the school is doing it also!

Otherwise, you might get something for free but only learn late or after spending much time/trouble it doesn't work the way you want nor can you find anyone to tell you how to use the freeware

p.s. I also saw your post about drives. I can add something there too.. when i get a chance later...

You are the best!

Zilpha/LookinAround,

I took your advise and I plunked down the $25. It was only a one time fee and apparently free lifetime upgrades :)

I suppose my frugile nature takes control some days. Thanks for being the guiding light!

Liz

Back