Freezing and rebooting itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoerster

Here is my problem. I bought this computer from a friend ran fine no problems for several weeks. I needed to change some programs and required admin. passwd.
The guy didn't remember.... so clean format and install of OS. Updated drivers, software, virus dif., the works.
Well a few days later it started freezing for 5-10 min., I had no mouse or keyboard.
If I was listening to music it would do like a scratched CD and skip. Then it would come back right were it left off music, mouse everything. I have taken al HW out and replced it, still hosed up and would then sometimes reboot itself. I though maybe a jumper or something... I am just beside myself(and the PC). Can someone please help me with brainstoming possibalities with this?

I remember when I was working we would delet the init. passwd file, I just remebered to late. I have been trying to fix this for weeks and finally gooled the proble. I thank you for you response. I ran the mem chck all was fine, came back good. I have also added the websites for all drivers (I believe). I have become obsesed with the updating and do that and a scan, run a report and check the old event log to see if there is anything. I have been able to find nothing as of yet.

Well it sounds as though you are as thorough as me

Seeming your computer has restarted I wonder if any Minidumps were created in C:\windows\Minidump folder?
I also wonder what the event logs do say?

Another point is your software installed (even though you formatted) I've found things like horrible AVG and Zone Alarm can cause issues

And have you tried removing all hardware addons?

Lastly (or firstly ;)) I would probably pull the computer apart and blow out all internal dust especially on your Power Supply \ CPU and Ram area (well everywhere :D)

Maybe that might help further :confused:
By the way if it works ok in Safe Mode, then it leans towards software related
And obviously there are no Virus and malware present?

I had never looked in My Minidump, but it is empty... and as far as the event log there are a few entries that I am not sure of... If you know of something specific to look at, I'll let you know what it says. I am unsure of the hardware addons... or how to remove them, if I have them.
The dust was the first thing to go :) (funny)
I was on the phone with support for 3 days off and on it would freeze in safe mode. I can't recall if it rebooted itself though.

By the way the 3 day support call ended with them telling me to boot in CMOS and see if it freezes or reboots.... That was a week ago, if never hosed or rebooted in three hours.

What happens if you remove the Video card (if you have onboard)
And you didn't say what Antivirus you are using etc
By the way some members say they have formatted, and then I later find they either "Repaired" or formatted a long time ago.
Another by the way, never format again (I never do) I always remove the Partition as described here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123957.html

Here's a quote ;)
[center]
Partitioning Issues

Note: When installing Windows clean it is always best to start on a non-partitioned Hard Drive.
This is because Windows will already automatically create a new correctly configured NTFS Partition.
Do Not Format, by formatting as opposed to re-partitioning you are in effect using the original partition

[/center]

You mean remove it (videocard) and reboot ?
The AV is McAfee it updates and scans every morning.
I am pretty sure it was afull format and good install. When the problem kept occuring thats when I put the install disc in and ran the memtest, and did all my pulling and cleaning of the system. I have looked at the link you suggested for the memtest and will run that; as well as the partition link.
I thought in my cleaning I pulled a jumper lose or someting, but everything works fine. except for the freezing, I'm lost:(

Thanks well here's the answer :grinthumb

Uninstall your McAfee Antivirus
Then run the McAfee Removal Tool

Install Avira free AntiVirus

Download Malwarebytes; Update it; then run a full scan (remove all found Malwares)
You need to run this multiple times, until all hidden Malwares are uncovered and removed

There you go ;)

No reply required on This is just paid for, or I don't have malware etc etc Just do the above and then reply ;) I very much doubt it will restart after that. (seeming McAfee is very bad)

Really..... Well kimsland I am going to do that and reboot and I will let you know.
Thank you for your help... you rock.

Uninstall your McAfee Antivirus
Then run the McAfee Removal Tool

the website will not come up. I've removed the AV from control pan. and when I click the above link, I am not allwed to download the file?

Well that's leaning more towards Malware involved
The link pops up for me very quickly

Maybe restart first
Otherwise try Safe Mode with Networking
Then click on it :grinthumb

I am very adiment about resolving this problem.... I rebooted and it hosed on start up for 6 mins. And I still can not access the removal link.
AHHHH... Let me do the safe mode like suggested. I'll be back :)

I am new to the site and was chating with someone earlier. They are no longer on line. My PC will hose up at random times, I have tried everything I know to do and would like som e suggestions of what else I could try.

still hosed up after that... I reinstalled my McAfee, since that was not the problem. I took the hole system apart again all hardware... Reinstalled all the HW, made sure all jumpers were connected all fans, updated EVERYTHING Ran full scans of EVERYTHING :(

hjtsy1.jpg
Direct Download link for HijackThis: http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe

Download
Run a scan
Attach the log

By the way here is the "attach" instructions if you're unsure of this: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post733954-4.html

It would have been good to get the Malwarebytes log as well

You want me to attach both logs to this page

I thought it said you were offline not to long ago.. I am new at this I probley didn't know what is was looking at ;)

Oh my little light says offline
But in actual fact I'm online, well always ;)

Anyway yes pls ATTACH the logs :D

What ever you do don't paste them in, because I'll probably think you don't need anymore help ;)

Also use EDIT instead of replying to yourself
And try to keep to one thread ie this one

My my there's a lot to know :)

Should I uninstall McAfee like earlier and install the recommened on the above lin. and thanks for your time... You've been great. For future referance, do I quick Reply or Post reply under your message?

I prefer Avira
And McAfee is what got you into the mess (ie it's not very good :()

Post Reply is good, but at this stage you need to follow all 8 steps in line (even do the Malwarebytes scan again) and then create a New Thread in the Virus Malware forum

NOTE: I won't be looking at the logs in this thread or forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back