Freezing, restarting on XP (SP3), any help?

Zetrocell

My secondary computer would sometimes freeze randomly, no keyboard or mouse response, can't open task manager, completely locked. I'm forced to force it to shut down, when I turn it back on I get a BSOD, then push the reset button and windows says that it wasn't properly turned off giving me the option to start in safe mode, after I get into windows it will run ok for a while, and sometimes it freezes again I restart it and there nothing on the screen, it turns black, I have to disconnect the power wait a few minutes and turn on again. At other points it gets into windows and my motherboard starts beeping constantly until I shut it off.

At other points my computer just restarts randomly.

Computer parts are mostly 2 months old, self built (CPU and PSU are 8 months old, I was using them with no issues in my main computer before I upgraded it).
Cleaned heatsink and fan NO DUST clogging, I monitor the temperatures on bios and using asus probe ii and hwmonitor, no overheating issues CPU temp: 27C / MOBO temp: 24C, under load max CPU temp: 45C / Mobo temp: 30C

What I have done so far:

-Event viewer showed problems with the wireless adapter drivers, uninstalled them, no longer using it and the problems persists.

-I have tested the ram with memtest86 it passed the test.
Ran it for 7 passes for both sticks, then ran it for 4 passes for each stick individually no problem. It just froze once during the test though saying "unexpected interrupt halting cpu0", I used the test many times before and after it only froze once.

-I have installed new nvidia drivers.

-I have checked the HDD for errors by going to the C: drive right clicking it selecting properties, tools and and check now under the error checking section.

-Disabled auto reboot for error, but computer sometimes reboots on its own with no BSOD showing.

My specs:
Motherboard: ASUS M4N68T-M (with nvidia Geforce 7025/nForce 630a integrated video)
RAM: CORSAIR TW3X2G1333C9A XMS3 2 GB DDR3
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 425
HDD: Samsung 500 GB SATA II HD502HJ
PSU: XION Xon 500 W

What could the cause of this problem be?

I'll upload the minidump files when I have access to that computer.

Minidump files

Here are the minidump files

Attachments

• Mini010311-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 4
  • Mini010411-01.dmp
    92 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini010611-01.dmp
  • Mini122710-01.dmp
  • Mini122810-01.dmp
Your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Already ran Memtest

Tried memtest already for 7 passes, no errors. I can get amazon.com to replace the ram ( I have until the 31st of January).

*** If Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match? How are the timings?

ram voltage and timing

Can't see or change voltage settings on bios, somehow is locked, checked ram voltage on cpu-z it matches (1.5V). I manually set the timings to 9-9-9-24, but it was running the same on auto.

It is possible that the OS registry got damaged, because I have installed and uninstalled several programs before it started to freeze and reboot.

Also I reinstalled my anti-virus (Norton Security Suite) several times for a number or errors that it was giving, could this also cause problems?

Norton is notorious for causing issues. It still doesn't explain the memory corruption read though.

Re-installed Windows

I have re-installed windows (clean install), no problems during installation, so far so good, no freeze ups or reboots.

I am replacing the RAM just to be safe, I have ordered:

Kingston HyperX Blu 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C9D3B1/2G

Is this a good choice?

Kingston makes excellent RAM (used it for many upgrades) but I am not all that familiar with their HyperX Blue though if I recall it got decent reviews.

BSOD after windows clean install

It BSOD on me while using the computer for a couple of hours, after doing a clean install of Windows, so I guess is definitely hardware related. I'm attaching the minidump.

Thanks for all your help Route44.

So starting with the RAM, by replacing it what are my chances that the problem is indeed just the RAM or is it something else.

Attachments

• Mini010811-01.dmp
Error is 0x24 and since nothing definitive was cited we would recommend a full harddrive diagnostics but I beleieve you have already done this.

Back