Frequent BSODs even after reinstalling OS

b0ng80

Hi. I've been getting frequent BSODs, usually when gaming. I've tried a few things and think it might be the motherboard or video card. Wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions.

Dell Inspiron 530 (Desktop)
Foxconn DG33M03 motherboard?
Q6600
4 x 1GB PC2-6400 Transcend
HD4850
2 SATA HDs
Antec Earthwatts 500

• The BSOD's were happening with XP SP3 installed. I partitioned off 80GB and installed Windows 7 and it continued in the newly installed OS.
  • I upped the PSU from the 350w that it came with to a 500w Antec
  • Blew the dust out of everything, reapplied thermal paste to GPU. Temps are ok.
  • Ran memtest86+ overnight and it came back with no errors.
  • Tried different ATI driver versions. Installing drivers with and without CCC.

Do the minidumps give any clues as to what can be causing this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• XPdumps.7z
    196.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 7dumps.7z
    100.3 KB · Views: 5
For some reason you attached a slew of folders but there were no minidumps in any of them. Just use the Zip option we provide in the Manage Attachments button the next time you post (scroll down) and place five of the most recent in one Zip folder. Please don't zip each one individually.

Hmm, strange. I redownloaded the attached 7z's and they do seem to contain all the dumps. No folders.
Im reattaching the most recent 5 using XP built in zip rather than 7zip. If I try to attach the .dmp directly, the manage attachments function tells me "Upload of file failed"

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Mini022611-01.zip
    133.4 KB · Views: 3
How many Passes did memtest do when you let it run overnight? The minimum is 7 and the more after 7 the better. The reason I ask is because corrupted memory was cited specifically as your cause in one of your minidumps.

But since your run of memtest didn't find any errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

Also two ATI drivers atikvmag.dll and atiduag3.dll were cited as the cause. I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

I think it did 7 passes only. But I will run it again for a much longer period of time. You suggest to run memtest with all sticks in or test 1 at a time?

The datasheet for my model RAM says 1.8v. CPUz's SPD section shows 1.80v for all 4 sticks (I don't know if this is the same as the voltage setting in the BIOS. I will have to get the BIOS setting later when I get home)

I have already tried (in both XP and Win7) your suggestion of cleaning out old drivers and installing the newest. (I had used DriverCleaner Pro rather than Driver Sweeper. I will try Driver Sweeper though)

You could try one stick at a time. What does your BIOS show the memory voltage set at?

I can't find the memory volatage anywhere in the BIOS.

I ran memtest86+ again for longer and it came up with errors. Should I now run memtest again trying 1 stick at a time in each slot?

Attached is a pic of the results.

Attachments

• Pics Jun 5 2010 049.jpg
    Pics Jun 5 2010 049.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for your posting. It confirms that 7 Passes isn't always enough when running Memtest. Since you got errors you have corrupted memory.

Yes, by all means run memtest per stick to see which one(s) need(s) replacement.

Good patient diagnosis on your part.

I swapped all my of RAM with a borrowed set of 4 x 1GB sticks and I was able to run the game all night without bluescreening. Even running multiple clients (which would seem to cause more frequent BSOD than running a single client). I'm very happy. Thanks for the help Route44

Back