Frequent Wifi Disconnect and work only if restarted

Hello There,

I own a five-year-old Dell XPS (i7-2630 QM @ 2.00 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia GT 525M; WiFi Card is Intel Centrino Advanced N-6230) . Of late it's suffering from a strange problem where it keeps on randomly disconnecting from the internet and the only way to fix it is restarting it. (A yellow triangle comes up on WiFi signals, once I disable enable the adapter, the adapter gets in a hung state and wont respond thereafter). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and it didn't work. I formatted and reinstalled Windows 7 and that didn't seem to help either. Windows 7 troubleshooter is hit and miss, and once in a while fixes the thing but most of the time it asks me to restart the router which doesn't help as the internet is working just fine as tested on other devices. The issue has popped up sometime with the frequent crashing of explorer.exe as well. I am not sure if the two issues are related but they had similar timing. I am using genuine Windows 7 (Won't shift to Windows 10, didn't like it) and have Avira Antivirus installed. Anywhere I doubt the issue is due to a malware as I have already clean installed the Windows once already.

Try going into - Device Manager - Network Adapters - Select your WiFi card and go to Properties, then go to the Power Management [tab] and uncheck the option that says "Allow this computer to turn of this device to save power".

Usually this is checked by default and it is possible when Windows sets this to a save power mode, its not waking up when you resume using your computer.

Back