Fried or not fried

en0nym0us

So I just upgraded my mobo (to MA785GN-US2H), CPU (to AMD X4 965), and also hooked up my new Corsair H50 CPU cooler that i picked up for the upgrade. I did not attempt to reinstall windows or anything. I kept the WIndows7 installation as it was on the hard drive before the upgrade. So I then swapped the mobo, CPU, hooked up cooler, and powered up. After loading Windows7, the PC would power completely off at the Windows logo screen. I even got as far as getting into the bios but the PC would still power completely off within 10-15 seconds of booting. I was unable to power back up unless I hit the power switch on the back of the PSU and waited 5 mins. Powered back up and same thing.

I should have checked the ram and if they were seated properly. I should have done a lot of things.

Instead, I got this bright idea that maybe my 500w PSU wasnt giving enough power so I moved the red switch on the back of the PSU (hmmm, what's this red button do?) from 115 to 230. lol. Powered up, and fans we spinning a little faster than normal, then pop went the PSU. Not a loud pop, but loud enough to hear and I also seen the spark right behind that little red switch (115/230). So the four year old PSU is fried.

I tested some pieces of hardware... the Corsair H50 cooler still pumps and all fans still work that was hooked up when the PSU popped. Everything still looks clean inside. No burns. On the back of the mobo right behind the CPU, it's clean.

I can't really test anything else until I pick up a new PSU. Won't be for another week until I can. Problem is, I won't be able to sleep until then. What you guys think? Is my new mobo and/or new CPU fried also?

Can't really say until you hook that new PSU up. By the way, what brand are you going to get?

I really don't know as my budget is limited. I'll probably pick up the cheapest one I can get with 500+ watts just to see if my mobo/cpu is fried. If all is good, I'll return and get a better one. any suggestions?

:)

Are you in the states? What is your budget?
Yes, I am in the states and I am looking for a PSU for up to $70.

By the way, I opened up the shot PSU and found that there was a fuse soldered inside and it was blown. So I went out of my way and got some of the same fuses and re-soldered one in. Without hooking it up to the PC, I plugged it in. The fuse popped. Soldered a second one in and it also popped.

I'm hoping that the first (stock) fuse saved my other hardware from getting shot. I mean, that is the purpose of a fuse, right?

Just got a test PSU today until I get a more efficient one and powered up. Everything works fine! It seems as my older PSU was dying anyways as to the PC was shutting down by itself. Though I still get the Windows Error Recovery but that is because I didn't modify my installation of Windows in any way before swapping mobo & cpu. Will have to do a reinstallation of Win7. It is a good thing that I backed up my settings before all of this.

Back