Fry's Electronics has closed its doors

D

DelJo63

Fry’s Electronics, one of the last big brick-and-mortar electronics store chains in the United States — and a Silicon Valley institution in particular — is permanently closing nationwide, local broadcaster KRON4 has confirmed, following a report from Bill Reynolds and another from Matthew Keys.

The company’s Facebook page is also gone and its Twitter feed has been set to private — it was public earlier this evening, though it hadn’t tweeted in quite some time.

If you’ve ever visited a Fry’s anytime in the past two to three years, none of this will come as a surprise.

see TheVerge.com for details

But depending on the internet for every little thing is such a pain. If you need one simple part for a project TODAY, you are S.O.L. And paying $5 s&h on a $3 cable? How does that work for anyone (other than for OOPS and the Post Awful)?

But forcing you to stay at home, works just fine for the World Economic Facists.

I used to buy all my parts for a build from Fry's in the old day, but the last 2 full builds were all parts from the Egg. Prices were just that much better, and even after shipping still spend less than Fry's anyway.

I had been away from Austin for a few years and came back just a couple years ago. Before I moved away, I used to go by Fry's just to look at stuff, even if not buying. But after coming back, I never set foot once in the store before it closed.

As I said before, my last 2 full builds of parts coming from the Egg just kinda killed my interest in dealing with crowds of *****s and morons and even if RMA's were faster when needed, the hassle of dealing with the lines at the returns window at Fry's was always a pain.

It may take longer with the Egg to get an RMA, but they've never argued with me about the need for one. Fry's did, regularly, due to children running the returns counter with no technical knowledge at all, and the supposed "techs" backing them up barely even LOOKED before rejecting a return.

Fry’s Electronics, one of the last big brick-and-mortar electronics store chains in the United States — and a Silicon Valley institution in particular — is permanently closing nationwide, local broadcaster KRON4 has confirmed, following a report from Bill Reynolds and another from Matthew Keys clicksud

The company’s Facebook page is also gone and its Twitter feed has been set to private — it was public earlier this evening, though it hadn’t tweeted in quite some time.

If you’ve ever visited a Fry’s anytime in the past two to three years, none of this will come as a surprise.

see TheVerge.com for details
At least we still have Micro Center!

Back