Fuel cell implant uses blood sugar to manage type 1 diabetes

Daniel Sims

Staff
Forward-looking: Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition in which the body doesn't naturally produce insulin, leading to dangerously high blood sugar levels. A group of researchers has unveiled a pair of devices that use this feedback loop to autonomously manage the medical condition.

Researchers at ETH Zurich (Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule, or Swiss Federal Technical Institute) recently unveiled a fuel cell that uses excess glucose (blood sugar) when implanted in the body to generate electricity. It can potentially power other medical implants, including one that automatically manages type 1 diabetes.

The diabetes-managing implant, which the team tested in 2016, consists of a capsule containing artificial beta cells. When stimulated with electricity or a blue LED light, the cells can autonomously secrete and release insulin, making it easier for patients to manage glucose levels.

Until now, the system lacked a workable power source. The researchers' solution is a teabag-like fuel cell implant (masthead) that converts power from excess blood sugar that might come from carbohydrates.

Click to enlarge

The fuel cell's outer coating consists of a medically-approved algae product called alginate, which soaks up body fluids and lets glucose pass through to the cell. The copper nanoparticles comprising the fuel cell split the glucose into gluconic acid and a proton, which generate power.

Upon detecting excess blood sugar, the fuel cell activates, telling the beta cells to release insulin. The cell then automatically deactivates when glucose levels return to normal. Additionally, it can connect to a mobile app to give patients and medical professionals greater control over its operation.

Researchers have theorized the concept of an auto-regulating biofuel cell for decades. The American Society of Artificial Internal Organs released a 1968 paper outlining a cell that would use the body's energy to power a pacemaker without batteries or other external power sources. The forward march of technology may have finally turned the theory into a reality.

Unfortunately, ETH Zurich lacks the finances and manpower to bring its idea to market without resources from an external backer. Furthermore, it has only tested its device in mice. A long road of further testing and funding likely lies ahead before the fuel cell can help treat diabetes in humans.

The full ETH Zurich study is freely available at the science news outlet Advanced Materials.

Permalink to story.

"Consuming excess carbohydrates is a known cause of type 1 diabetes, in which the body doesn't naturally produce insulin, leading to dangerously high blood sugar levels"

I'm sorry, but Daniel, can you please fix this misinformation? Consuming excess carbohydrates is a known cause of type 2 diabetes, which is form insulin resistance. Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder in which the body attacks the beta cells in the pancreas.

First sentence of the article is 100% false. Type 1 diabetes is in no way caused by the consumption of carbohydrates. Hard to believe the rest of the article.
It really does, like this line here:

"It can potentially power other medical implants, including one that automatically manages type 1 diabetes."

To my knowledge such a device does not exist, as type 1 requires a constant stream of insulin. All implantable devices thus far have been aimed squarely at type 2s that only need small amounts.

Makes me wonder if there is a reason this ETH company doesnt have money.....

A type 1 cure exists already, but is deeply under wraps. The reason is simple. Releasing the cure would destabilize a multi trillion dollar global industry and that in itself would cause immense harm on a global level, financially.

"Consuming excess carbohydrates is a known cause of type 1 diabetes, in which the body doesn't naturally produce insulin, leading to dangerously high blood sugar levels"

I'm sorry, but Daniel, can you please fix this misinformation? Consuming excess carbohydrates is a known cause of type 2 diabetes, which is form insulin resistance. Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder in which the body attacks the beta cells in the pancreas.
Yea honestly. As a type one diabetic myself I read that and was like...wtf no.

A type 1 cure exists already, but is deeply under wraps. The reason is simple. Releasing the cure would destabilize a multi trillion dollar global industry and that in itself would cause immense harm on a global level, financially.
I'm not saying you're lying as a believe Magic Johnson doesn't really have AIDS anymore either but out of my own curiosity since I have type one...show me more.

"It can potentially power other medical implants, including one that automatically manages type 1 diabetes."

To my knowledge such a device does not exist, as type 1 requires a constant stream of insulin. All implantable devices thus far have been aimed squarely at type 2s that only need small amounts.

Not true if what I'm told is correct. According to my endocrinologist there are insulin pumps that can auto detect high sugars and pump "x" amount into you. You do have to program the scale though.

Not true if what I'm told is correct. According to my endocrinologist there are insulin pumps that can auto detect high sugars and pump "x" amount into you. You do have to program the scale though.
There are, and I have one. The key word in their statement was "implant". The pump isnt an implant, its an external device and the infusion site is changed regularly.

Implant implies something that is left in for months or years, like a pacemaker. There's been a lot of work done on the concept of an implantable gluecose meter that could go a year+ without being changed, but no insulin pump, as you would need a way to get more insulin into it and that isnt physically feasible.

Fuel cell is like 10,000 PSI pressurized hydrogen though, it would go razor-cutting inside the body if it leaks...

Perhaps you're unfamiliar with Insulin Pumps and CGMs? I can tell you specifically that a hybrid closed loop system, that being an artificial pancreas system (like Control-iQ), will absolutely only be paid for by insurance for Type 1 Diabetes, never for Type 2 diabetes.

Back