Gabe Newell says the Xbox Series X beats the PS5

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: The next-gen consoles are still a few months away, but based on what we’ve seen so far, many have already chosen the PlayStation 5 as the better machine—but not Gabe Newell. The Valve boss thinks the Xbox Series X will be superior to Sony’s product.

Newell, you might remember, has been in New Zealand since the beginning of the pandemic. He was on a break in the country following the shipping of Half-Life: Alyx and decided to stay when Covid-19 began spreading worldwide in March. He’s putting on a free concert to thank the Kiwis for hosting him and his friends.

Speaking on current affairs show The Project, Newell was asked which of the upcoming consoles was better. “The Xbox,” he replied, without pausing to think. When the host asked why, Newell said: “because it is.”

“I don’t have a stake in that race,” he added. “Obviously, we do most of our development on personal computers, but of the two I would definitely go with an Xbox.” Skip to around the 3:09 mark in the video to hear Newell’s views.

It’s not too surprising to see the CEO choose the Xbox. While Sony has started pushing some of its console exclusives onto Steam, Microsoft has long been trying to integrate its consoles with the PC, and the Series X will be no different. It’s also a very PC-like console, of course.

While the Xbox Series X boasts more raw power, the PS5 has a faster custom SSD. The drive can shift compressed data at a maximum of 9 GB/s—twice as fast as the Xbox Series X's 4.8 GB/s. After being decompressed, it can be processed at 5.5 GB/s, which again is about twice as fast as the 2.4 GB/s that Microsoft’s console can manage. Its speed forced Epic to rewrite parts of the Unreal Engine.

Sony is reportedly confident that the PS5 will become one of the best-selling consoles ever, and is planning to ship 120 – 170 million units across its five-year lifespan. Double the number of Xbox Series X units Microsoft is expected to ship.

Permalink to story.

Neither Microsoft nor SONY has me excited for the new machines yet. I've seen no games that I must have, nor features I must have.

All they have to brag about thus far is their SSD drives - which while impressive to newbies, in no way impresses me since I am a PC Gamer with Samsung and Crucial NVME M.2.

Even if either system was more powerful than my 2080Ti, which they aren't, I already have my money ready for the 3080ti/ 3090.

I have no doubt Xbox is more powerful.

But I already know, based on previous examples, PS5 is gonna outsell them with ease.

I will say this: most Youtube streamers are gonna buy both machines simply so they can be first to upload gameplay or stream new games. That, is ultimately the only reason I can see to buy both systems and it's only for ad revenue.

Last edited:
Gabe has always thrown his hat in the ring with Xbox from the early days. American company. It won't even be about specs, it's just that is what his company has leaned to.

They ported Half Life 2 to the original Xbox for goodness sake which was a bonkers project and made zero sense. He (rightly) slaughtered PS3's hardware until Sony came up with cash to get the Orange box and then all of a sudden was fine with it.

The fact Microsoft have this crossover with PC will only influence his response even more.

Having bought into Xbox myself since the first one then I just see Microsoft making the console irrelevant for every gaming PC owner, so I'm going to buy a PS5 and probably for the first time not even bother about what Microsoft are doing with their Xbox hardware. It doesn't register for PC owners.

Who cares what he thinks? Like seriously? He barely cares about gaming. He just wants to milk dev's on Steam.

PS5 will outsell XSX with ease just like PS4 outsold XO with ease. Thats reality for you.

Exclusives is what pushes consoles, not hardware specs. Just ask Nintendo. Oh and Sony...

I'm getting a PS5 at some point, def not on launch. PC is my main platform.

Never ever buy a new gen console on launch... No games, high prices and both hardware and software bugs. Waiting is the smarter move.

Most of the games showed in both launch events are not even close. 2022+ for most of them, like Fable, Avowed, Horizon 2, Next Naughty Dog release etc.

This is why you did not see any real gameplay. Just trailers.

Last edited:
Gabe has always thrown his hat in the ring with Xbox from the early days. American company. It won't even be about specs, it's just that is what his company has leaned to.

They ported Half Life 2 to the original Xbox for goodness sake which was a bonkers project and made zero sense. He (rightly) slaughtered PS3's hardware until Sony came up with cash to get the Orange box and then all of a sudden was fine with it.

The fact Microsoft have this crossover with PC will only influence his response even more.

Having bought into Xbox myself since the first one then I just see Microsoft making the console irrelevant for every gaming PC owner, so I'm going to buy a PS5 and probably for the first time not even bother about what Microsoft are doing with their Xbox hardware. It doesn't register for PC owners.
Except for that time when announced portal 2 was coming to console and his company made sure the ps3 version was superior....

Neither Microsoft nor SONY has me excited for the new machines yet. I've seen no games that I must have, nor features I must have.

All they have to brag about thus far is their SSD drives - which while impressive to newbies, in no way impresses me since I am a PC Gamer with Samsung and Crucial NVME M.2.

Even if either system was more powerful than my 2080Ti, which they aren't, I already have my money ready for the 3080ti/ 3090.

But I already know, based on previous examples, PS5 is gonna outsell them with ease.

I will say this: most Youtube streamers are gonna buy both machines simply so they can be first to upload gameplay or stream new games. That, is ultimately the only reason I can see to buy both systems and it's only for ad revenue.

The thing about SSD in a console tho is games can be designed assuming it is there which can't be done with PC games. See this section of Ratchet and Clank trailer where he is constantly switching between world with completely different setting / art assets as a first example.

Except for that time when announced portal 2 was coming to console and his company made sure the ps3 version was superior....

Post Orange Box.

Sony agreed to help Valve on PS3 development but what turned it all around was Sony's extraordinary agreement to allow Steam integration on PS3 and give Valve control over their games. Portal 2 was the spearhead.

With Orange Box Valve called that version the 'step child'. They constantly bashed the machine and Sony. When they had that help and tools then they were happier to make games for PS3. Before that intervention Gaben/Valve was slamming PS3 and Sony and did not want to make anything for the machine.

Post Orange Box.

Sony agreed to help Valve on PS3 development but what turned it all around was Sony's extraordinary agreement to allow Steam integration on PS3 and give Valve control over their games. Portal 2 was the spearhead.

With Orange Box Valve called that version the 'step child'. They constantly bashed the machine and Sony. When they had that help and tools then they were happier to make games for PS3. Before that intervention Gaben/Valve was slamming PS3 and Sony and did not want to make anything for the machine.
Im sorry, which of those two happened first again?

Im sorry, which of those two happened first again?

Orange box was 2007 and Valve would not stop dissing PS3 before, on release, and after. Probably the most high profile vocal critic. I sympathised where they were coming from, PS3's hardware was hot garbage to work with compared to X360 and especially from a PC developer's standpoint.

In 2011 Sony made an agreement to allow Steam integration on PSN for Portal 2. After this Valve were suddenly very happy.

GabeN isn't even part of gaming anymore as far as most of us are concerned. How many sure things did he cancel in favor of pimping Steam over the past decade-plus? Yeah, he's irrelevant.

Who cares what he thinks? Like seriously? He barely cares about gaming. He just wants to milk dev's on Steam.

Except that any dev can generate steam keys and sell them on any other marketplace and steam will take a 0% cut.

If you don't like paying steam's store cut, steam gives you the ability to sell anywhere else. The reason devs pay the steam cut is because it's worth it.

People brainwashed by EPIC, which is ironic given how poorly they've treated the platform compared to Valve, which creates and contributes to the platform all the time, in many cases for free in the form of open source or free to use software.

PC and PS5 would be a winning combination since Xbox will have no exclusives
That's not quite right - Microsoft haven't said there won't be any Xbox exclusives, just no Series X ones. In other words, any title released only for the Xbox won't be tied to either the One or Series X.

That's not quite right - Microsoft haven't said there won't be any Xbox exclusives, just no Series X ones. In other words, any title released only for the Xbox won't be tied to either the One or Series X.

I think the idea was more the fact that Microsoft have committed to releasing everything on PC.

Thus Xbox won't have any first party exclusives, everything is shared with PC too. PC + PS5 will cover everything.

Thus Xbox won't have any first party exclusives, everything is shared with PC too. PC + PS5 will cover everything.
True, although I do wonder if all new XBox titles will cover all Microsoft platforms - time will tell. It's clear that Microsoft see gaming in 3 discrete budget sectors: XBox One, XBox Series X, and PC, rather than 2 separate markets (console + PC) anymore. Can't afford a decent gaming PC? Get an XBSX. Can't afford one of those? Get an XB1. There's some logic to that approach.

Anyway, the way that some PS titles are eventually working their way onto the PC, well, 'PC + bag of Cheetos' will cover almost everything. :)

Your Samsung and Crucial NVME M.2 mean nothing when paired with Windows. On top of that game devs must make PC games with the idea that not everyone has an SSD. The PS5 has been built from the ground up to make use of that SSD. Kinda like why iPhones can be smooth as butter with lower specs than their Android counterparts. Currently the amount of assets they can load in almost an instant dwarfs anything the PC can do. This is all coming from a lifelong PC gamer. I really don't care if console hardware edges out PC's for a bit, because that just means PC will get it soon.

PlayStation exclusives mean you won't get those games on other platforms, such as PC - a superior platform. Xbox does the right thing and eases on the exclusives and people lose their **** how it's bad. No exclusives =/= no games for the new Xbox. Did these corporations successfully train a generation of people into wanting to be abused?

Post Orange Box.

Reminds me of when Gabe came out at Sony's E3 for the Portal 2 announcement.

And then in 2011 ported Portal 2 to the PS3 which came with steam integration and a steam code for the game inside the box. It was also the best performing console portal and you could play with your steam friends.

Why do we care what Gabe thinks? He’s currently isolated on New Zealand flaunting his wad with some musicians. Steam is stagnant, it’s competitors are slowly taking bigger and bigger chunks out of it. And they basically don’t make games anymore. I wonder if steam have a streaming service planned? I wonder what they have planned at all.

Personally, I can see MS strategy of selling an experience over selling consoles working out. Funnily enough I am far more likely to buy an Xbox exclusive if I can buy it on PC because I don’t own a console. Sony on the other hand pay their devs not to release on other hardware. Dicks. But that wall is starting to break now.

I can see Xbox leaving steam behind in the dust. But then again the Epic Games Store is cheaper for the same thing already anyway so how hard can it be to be to be to beat a stagnant steam?

Back