Galaxy Note 8 specs and price leak: 6.3" screen, dual 12MP cameras, 6GB of RAM

David Matthews

Staff member

After the debacle that was the Galaxy Note 7, Samsung is looking to regain the trust of the Galaxy Note devotees. Since Samsung confirmed back in January that a Galaxy Note 8 would indeed be released, there have been plenty of rumors, leaks, and more rumors. Today, leak extraordinaire Evan Blass unveiled what he says the specs and price for the upcoming Galaxy Note 8 are going to be.

According to evleaks, the Note 8 will sport a 6.3-inch Super AMOLED display with the same edge to edge design and 18.5:9 aspect ratio as the Galaxy S8. The Note 8 will also come in black, blue, and gold.

On the outside, the Note 8 will have a dual camera setup like the LG G6, iPhone 7 Plus, and recently released OnePlus 5. Both cameras will be 12-megapixels with optical image stabilization. They will be positioned horizontally to the left of the heart rate sensor and flash.

Owners of the Galaxy S8 have bemoaned the placement of the fingerprint sensor next to the camera as it often causes unintended smudges to the camera lens. Unfortunately, it seems the Note 8 will have a similar design with the fingerprint sensor once again next to the camera. However, Blass points out that the distance between the sensor and the camera is greater.

Obviously, the battery will be a major point of focus for the Note 8 as not to repeat the mistakes of the Note 7. To that end, Blass reports that the battery will be a "relatively conservative" 3300mAh battery. Clearly, Samsung is not trying to take any risks with this iteration.

Internally, the Note 8 will be powered by either a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 or Exynos 8895 which is on par with the current S8/S8+. It will also have a generous 6GB of RAM which should make general usage and multitasking snappy.

As far as Touchwiz, Blass writes, "On the software side of things, Samsung has apparently improved the ease-of-use of split-screen multitasking, endowed the S Pen with more capabilities (such as full-sentence language translation and currency conversion), and added the ability to pin handwritten notes to the always-on display." The Note 8 will also have the same DeX capability as the S8/S8+.

Finally, the retail price of the Note 8 will be closer to $1,000 which isn't surprising considering the unlocked Galaxy S8+ sold for $825 at launch. Evan Blass' reputation is pretty stellar regarding leaks, but of course we'll still have to wait until Samsung formally unveils the Galaxy Note 8 later this year.

Permalink to story.

I just hope curved edges don't stay a thing for much longer due to the glare, distortion and how easy it is to break when dropped. Supposedly the S8 has the worst drop test results ever.

Paying $830 for the 64GB Note 5 when it launched was bad enough. I REALLY want this but $1000 is too pricey. Let's not forget the Note 5 is the last big Samsung phone you can acquire without a locked bootloader (tmobile version) so it can be rooted without exploits.

The day I shell out a grand for a phone, any phone, is the day they put me into a straight jacket. I could probably get my mitts on one a few weeks after it's release for about $550 (depending on exchange rates), I reckon, directly from my importer buddies but that too is a ridiculous amount for what is just a phone.

$1k for a smartphone? LOLNO.

The only way this would be worth the money would be if samsung offered the entirety of the ROM for the opensource community, unlocked the bootloader on all models, at least 5 years of updates, and a removable battery and SDcard storage.

$1k for a smartphone? LOLNO.

The only way this would be worth the money would be if samsung offered the entirety of the ROM for the opensource community, unlocked the bootloader on all models, at least 5 years of updates, and a removable battery and SDcard storage.

Well put. Couldn't frame it any better.

What are you gonna do on your phone that requires 6GB of RAM?

From reviews of the OnePlus 5, the extra RAM really helps when it comes to multitasking because more apps are able to stay in memory
So what? It's not a damn desktop computer, stop treating it like one! You don't need twenty apps running at the same time. Most users have at most five apps open.

Samsung has a major problem learning that the fingerprint reader is in a horrible location. I won't be buying this.

Overpriced, crappy interface and customizations from Samsung ... and they are not taking any risk with the battery should be understood as the battery life is gonna be shite. It will do very well with their fanbase which are just as simple minded as the iphone users.

I just hope curved edges don't stay a thing for much longer due to the glare, distortion and how easy it is to break when dropped. Supposedly the S8 has the worst drop test results ever.
Curved edge is just plain stupid! I was going to retire my Note 4, but now I will settle for an iPhone 8 Plus!

Hey, they can charge whatever they want, but they won't be getting my money.
NO PHONE is worth it...but, free country.

Agreed. I refused to buy the Pixel because it's a nice phone with basic android and no features that stand out for Galaxy S8 Prices. I probably won't be getting the new Pixel and defiantly won't be getting the Note 8 with that price tag.

From reviews of the OnePlus 5, the extra RAM really helps when it comes to multitasking because more apps are able to stay in memory
I feel like something should be done about it because at this rate Android will soon need more RAM than Windows.
Nah, it's really just a Samsung thing because their interface is so bloated and their ram management terrible. Motorola 5th gen G's run smoother than the s8 at a third the price.

Back