Game CPU usage

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
Time for an image heavy cpu thread usage and performance ... thread. What I'd like to see here and hope will answer a question asked time and time again is a screenshot of your task manager while running a game (try to make your taskman screenshot 800x600 - you may need to size your taskman as a prior setup) so that we can get an idea of how many threads are actually used while playing certain games. I ask that you post the name of the game, locate in game if possible, and game settings. A screenshot of the game settings might be easiest since that answer can get pretty long for some games. Posting duplicates for games already posted should be okay as long as you don't post with identical (or nearly) specs as someone who posted a game prior. Have a dual core and someone posted a game with a quad? Post yours too. Someone post quad and you have 8? Post yours too. Keep an eye out for a similar thread checking GPU performance later.

I'll lead us off:

Rift in Sanctum @ 1920x1200
Rift_Sanctum.png

Rift_Settings.png

Mirror's Edge in Heat Checkpoint A @ 1920x1200 Max everything 8XQ AA PhysX off
Mirrors_Edge_Heat_CP_A.png

Torchlight in Town @ 1920x1200 Max everything vsync on
Torchlight_Town.png

Civilization V in Tutorial @ 1920x1200 High everything 8X MSAA (no zooming - stayed at starting zoom)
CivV_Tutorial_Start.png

Also just to let you know games take up like 50 percent

oh really? "games do?"
have a look, these games are NOT...
1) using only two cores
2) barely using two cores
3) only "seeing 4 cores"

Dirt 3
X6_Dirt_3.PNG

BFBC2
BBC2_CPU_x6.JPG

F1 2010
F1_2010_CPU_usage.JPG

You might also look into the number of games released over the last year that run poorly when they have ONLY two cores at their disposal. They are many. This includes Crysis 2 BTW. If you don't want to believe me , This is from TS's Crysis 2 review:
Crysis 2 fully utilizes four cores and is seemingly unplayable on dual-core processors.
The balance of the review is here:
https://www.techspot.com/review/379-crysis-2-performance/page8.html
8 core is pointless or the HT.
There is also a game called 'Total War' that only affords asymmetrical troop movement with a HT'ed Intel x6.

Try something else and GL

Sweet idea, I'll have to go through my list of games this weekend and post some of em up. Are you looking for just more modern and demanding games for comparison sake or any game?

Pretty much any game. Modern games are more desirable since we kind of know what the case will be for the older games. I threw an old title in there to show that (Torchlight).

Starcraft 2, 3v3c, 1920x1080,

Screenshot taken right before winning, but didn't seem to change much after about 5 minutes in, although I was in battle so I wasn't looking over too often.

Task Manager with refresh rate on High:
Starcraft2TaskMan.jpg

Task Manager with refresh rate on Low:
Starcraft2TaskMan2.jpg

All settings maxed:
Screenshot2011-10-17_15_22_34.jpg

Embiggened: https://www.techspot.com/gallery/data/502/Screenshot2011-10-17_15_22_34.jpg

Full specs in profile.

Short Specs: C2D@2.13Ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 5830 (GPU 800Mhz, Mem 1Ghz).

Usually games take up about 50 to 70 percent CPU usage. When a game takes up full throttle 100 percent then its time for new CPU. :)

If Steve makes a little database of CPU usage like he did at the end of the full BF3 review then I think this thread's purpose would be served much better that way. Seeing that section actually made me quite jealous because it was done so well. Just need to replace my 5970 with a pair of 580s so I can see my numbers in the charts again. Maybe I'll pass my 5970 down to my daughter.

Thats okay Papa...I don't see my numbers on the charts either:p:D:wave:

Perhaps just some standardization, and the avg he had in the review. could also add memory usage as well. The only problem is that things will vary from system to system, and there are some games (and probably more and more that will use 8 cores. anyway, let me know how I can help.

Back