Game of Thrones is 2013's most pirated TV show, again

Scorpus

Staff member

game thrones piracy game of thrones pirated torrents tv shows

Game of Thrones has taken out the illustrious title of 'Most Pirated TV Show' for the second year in a row, according to data from TorrentFreak. At its peak - the season finale titled 'Mhysa' - the popular HBO TV show was downloaded an estimated 5.9 million times over BitTorrent networks, which was slightly higher than the 5.5 million viewers that tuned in on television in the United States.

In 2012, Game of Thrones was downloaded 4.28 million times at its peak (with 4.20 million TV viewers), meaning 2013's pirated viewership increased by 37%. Other TV shows that topped the list for 2013 included Breaking Bad (4.2 million downloads), The Walking Dead (3.6 million) and The Big Bang Theory (3.6 million).

TorrentFreak: Most downloaded TV-shows on BitTorrent, 2013

Rank Show Estimated Downloads Estimated US TV Viewers
1 Game of Thrones 5,900,000 5,500,000
2 Breaking Bad 4,200,000 10,280,000
3 The Walking Dead 3,600,000 16,110,000
4 The Big Bang Theory 3,400,000 20,440,000
5 Dexter 3,100,000 2,800,000
6 How I Met Your Mother 3,000,000 9,400,000
7 Suits 2,600,000 3,520,000
8 Homeland 2,400,000 2,380,000
9 Vikings 2,300,000 6,000,000
10 Arrow 2,200,000 3,240,000

Out of the top ten most pirated TV shows of 2013, it's not surprising to see seven shows that are only available on cable networks. Looking at the data provided by TorrentFreak also reveals that only three shows (Game of Thrones, Dexter, and Homeland) that were downloaded more than viewed on TV itself.

Speaking of the piracy of Game of Thrones, Jeff Bewkes, CEO of HBO's parent Time Warner, said that people pirating the show generated needed "cultural buzz", and that the title of most pirated was "better than an Emmy". His position is an interesting one to hold in the world of television networks and organizations that are, for the most part, vehemently against piracy.

Permalink to story.

Seems like the creators are missing out on a large market. Netflix should have a free account where you can download these shows and watch them in max quality. Then, put ads on them (one every 15mins for 1min). If not that, then I am sure they could think of something else.

I'm happy to say that I am one of those that Pirated Game of Thrones, do you know why? Because they DO NOT provide any kind of decent quality stream or download here in the UK, as far as I'm aware it's not a show that airs on Freeview, hell I think it's a Sky only thing! I believe you can get it on DVD and Blu-ray, problem is I don't own a DVD drive, or Blu-Ray drive, I didn't bother with one in my computer since I download all my games and yeah, I don't ever need to burn things since I have plenty of USB sticks.

I don't get why they have limited to just Sky premium customers and DVD?! Agreed with @H3llion as well, Even that would be better than nothing, these company's are *****s, they are missing out of money AND annoying people (such as myself) who are prepared to pay to watch.

So your proposing I should buy a DVD player for ONE show? The rest of the world seems to allow me to stream or download on iTunes there shows / movies, I invested on a decent internet line with unlimited bandwidth but your telling me I should now go out and buy a DVD player for a single show? Hhhhmmm... Let me think about it... Well I guess... No... I guess HBO could, you know, move with the times and put it up on sale in iTunes? Or any streaming service? I'm sure I'm not the only person on this planet who would find it extremely useful. Besides, I will buy it when I can download it or stream it, I'm already subscribed to Netflix / love film etc...

You don't have a DVD player in your PC? And you can't connect your PC to your TV?

Ummm you're on Techspot.

Figure it out.

DVD players are cheap... DVDs are cheap... stop being cheap and buy the damned equipment necessary to play the show that you are enjoying...? Yeah, just makes too much sense, honestly, people will make nonsense to defend their 'reasons' for not doing something.

Now, I could understand pirating if you said something along the lines of 'Services just aren't available in my Area/Country' of 'I do not have the money for premium channels', but even then... DVD...

Last edited:
Not that I want to defend piracy, but getting a show on DVD or Blu-ray is not the same as watching it when it comes out. Here in Australia there is no way to watch Game of Thrones when it comes out (nor near to it) without buying subscription TV packages (and it's not just the basic package either).

It's utter stupidity that it's impossible to watch this show legitimately, when it is aired in the United States, without having to pay for a whole ton of unnecessary channels

Not that I want to defend piracy, but getting a show on DVD or Blu-ray is not the same as watching it when it comes out. Here in Australia there is no way to watch Game of Thrones when it comes out (nor near to it) without buying subscription TV packages (and it's not just the basic package either).

It's utter stupidity that it's impossible to watch this show legitimately, when it is aired in the United States, without having to pay for a whole ton of unnecessary channels

HBO is a premium movie channel... we in the states have to pay a 'premium' to get it... how is watching a DVD/bluray different than watching the series as it airs... other than being able to watch the show when you want, without commercials, and ability to pause it? It actually seems better, and cheaper as HBO is at least $14 a month extra to your bill, series run about two or three months, meaning $28-$42, plus monthly bill. There really is not a reason in your statement Scorpus, just an excuse.

With HBO subscription via TV providers, you get access to HBO Go, which gives you the ability to stream the episode after it airs, usually a day later, but sometimes within the hour, to your smartphone, tablet, PC, or Mac.

Last edited:

What TrueBooleanFals said. I live in the U.S. and if I want to watch it, I have to subscribe to HBO (along with the cable TV package) just like you would have to.

So what's the problem? If you want to watch it in HD and at the same time every one else does, subscribe to cable TV and HBO for 3 months as the series airs and then cancel when it's over. That's what I've done the last two seasons.

HBO is a premium movie channel... we in the states have to pay a 'premium' to get it... how is watching a DVD/bluray different than watching the series as it airs... other than being able to watch the show when you want, without commercials, and ability to pause it? It actually seems better, and cheaper as HBO is at least $14 a month extra to your bill, series run about two or three months, meaning $28-$42, plus monthly bill. There really is not a reason in your statement Scorpus, just an excuse.

With HBO subscription via TV providers, you get access to HBO Go, which gives you the ability to stream the episode after it airs, usually a day later, but sometimes within the hour, to your smartphone, tablet, PC, or Mac.

Except that in Australia it's not just an extra $14 per month. We're talking a minimum of AU$74 per month plus a $150 equipment setup fee. Hardly worth it when all I want is just one show.

Why do I have to spend that much instead of buying just one channel/show?

I work for Dish Network civilian side... our packages start at around $45/mo, that's an introductory rate, after first year, its full price of $62, if you have more than one receiver it costs... DVR, costs more, BB@Home, tech svc fee... equipment fee... all that jazz... we have it too...

Well it's no wonder people pirate the show. You'd think many more people would jump on board with a la carte IPTV programming

EDIT: Actually it turns out Game of Thrones was available in Australia through iTunes, a la carte, with the same from-US delay as subscription cable. But not any more, so I'm not surprised we're the top pirating nation

Gosh, I have the reverse problem from the rest of you. (As you might expect. I have Blu-Ray / DVD sets of seasons 1 & 2, but haven't bothered to watch them yet. Since there's no way on earth I'm springing for cable, I wait for the discs, And well, when I get them, the show's still new to me.

Any how, I bought season 2 set over a year ago because it was on sale. Then, I quickly realized I couldn't watch it until I had seen season 1....:D

But, no joy. I'm so cheap I squeak when I walk, and the season 1 box set wasn't to be had for much under $46.00. Then eureka, Best Buy put up season 1 Blu-ray + DVD on Black Friday for $19.95. I got the last one. (Well that, and a 46" LED TV, an HP 3 way printer, and 3 seasons of Chuck). I have to face facts. I was born in December, just 3 weeks before Christmas. It's a dirty, thankless job, buying myself all those presents in such a short time frame, but somebody's got to do it.

So what should I do now, wait to watch seasons 1 & 2, or wait until season 3 is released? Or what the hell, keep buying box sets until they cancel the show, then watch it from start to finish, behind an eight ball of, (stimulant suggestions go here >> (.......)), er of, whatever.

Anyway @Burty117 ,You should treat yourself to some sort of DVD recording mechanism. I have a stand alone DVD recorder. (Plus a bunch of other junk that spins discs). Over here, OTA TV is Hi-Def & free!

So, I just recorded this year's, "Victoria's Secret Fashion Show". (I'll use DVD Shrink to print it off the DVD+RW discs I use in the recorder)

Ahem, I thought it would be nice to have some footage around of model's with clothes on for a change.:D

I'll just say that Breaking Bad is in second and is readily available on Netflix AND has a dirt box set when compared to the silly prices of Game of S1 & 2.

I'll just say that Breaking Bad is in second and is readily available on Netflix AND has a dirt box set when compared to the silly prices of Game of S1 & 2.
Like I said, (actually intimated), you have to be patient. S2 of "Game" cost me $37.00, an S1 of "Game", cost me $20.00. Those are Bu-Ray + DVD + digital copy. So, figure less than $30.00 per season, (10 episodes), which amounts to the same price as a Hi-Def download from Amazon or iTunes.

BTW, is this show any good? I still haven't seen it.:D

You don't have a DVD player in your PC? And you can't connect your PC to your TV?

Ummm you're on Techspot.

Figure it out.
Did you read my post? Please read again, I made a conscience decision NOT to buy one for my PC build, sure they're only £15-£30 but I could spend that on a decent heatsink instead, Also as I stated, everything else is available somewhere as download or stream, why not Game of Thrones?

DVD players are cheap... DVDs are cheap... stop being cheap and buy the damned equipment necessary to play the show that you are enjoying...? Yeah, just makes too much sense, honestly, people will make nonsense to defend their 'reasons' for not doing something.

Now, I could understand pirating if you said something along the lines of 'Services just aren't available in my Area/Country' of 'I do not have the money for premium channels', but even then... DVD...

Ok I'll do it your way, The services I require/prefer/I've invested and ready to use, do not exist for this ONE show, I'm also in a position I cannot get satellite TV to watch it on the single channel that airs it...
Better?

EDIT: Actually it turns out Game of Thrones was available in Australia through iTunes
Your lucky, I wish here in the UK we had the same possibility :(

Anyway @Burty117 ,You should treat yourself to some sort of DVD recording mechanism. I have a stand alone DVD recorder. (Plus a bunch of other junk that spins discs). Over here, OTA TV is Hi-Def & free!
Yeah I know I could, but it feels like a waste of money to be used once or twice for a single show :( And then I have to store the DVD's / Blurays somewhere since I wouldn't be able to put them on the Micro server :(

BTW, is this show any good? I still haven't seen it.:D
Dear god yes! It is pretty epic :D

I actually don't mind how long I have to wait as long as I can download or stream the first season by the time the second season starts airing, They haven't bothered with either method of delivery in the UK, so I got hold of them from other means, but mark my word, like I have in the past, I will purchase the official versions once they are available.

Networks overcharge for subscription packages, and just like Games, Blu-ray Hd content is extortianate on release. You have to wait for the mugs with too much money than sense to get their fill and sales to slow before it can be dropped to poor people / sensible prices.

Everyone recorded shows on sky on vhs and lent them to friends, now its easier with digital ( but also easy to see how much is going on now its digital ) so what? It is how it is, how it was, how it will be forever. And if you are going to make a tv show, then you finish it... not cancel it 2 or 3 times, but give the viewer especially that who is paying subscription fees and blu ray prices, a satisfactory ending.

Although if LOST is anything to go by, and you change all your writers, and they have no idea what they are doing, but decide to give it the ending that everyone said, please don't make it that lame ending... but they do anyway as the worlds sickest joke, then please don't make us suffer that again, ty.

Sorry but you just spoke complete garbage. If content providers want people to pay for Games of Thrones and not pirate so much, they have to provide a model that the customers are willing to pay for. Paying for an entire pay tv subscription PLUS a premium content levy is ridiculous for a single show. People are voting WITH THEIR WALLETS AND NOT PAYING. Isn't that a message?

Sorry but you just spoke complete garbage. If content providers want people to pay for Games of Thrones and not pirate so much, they have to provide a model that the customers are willing to pay for. Paying for an entire pay tv subscription PLUS a premium content levy is ridiculous for a single show. People are voting WITH THEIR WALLETS AND NOT PAYING. Isn't that a message?
Even when episodes of a show ARE made available on iTunes or Amazon Instant Video, and many others, it's a ripoff. Media downloaded through these sources isn't portable. With that said, I have no idea how much NAS an individual would need to become a "collector" of downloads of this type. And all the while, you need to maintain one single computer for the sake of the serial number, for playback.

If someone can get media through honest means, then "piracy" IS stealing.

If someone cannot get media they desire by "honest means", (for example, it's not distributed in their country, by choice of the supplier), then "piracy", becomes "expedience", and no penalty should attach. (There's an unstated, "we don't care about that market". Or perhaps, "it's too much aggravation or money to spend to penetrate that market). In this case, no penalty should attach.

So, if a content provider chooses not to enter a specific market, they should tacitly lose all rights to their content in that area.

Agreed, and if anything, with such rampant Piracy surrounding the show, it goes to show that people think it is a very good show, considering Breaking Bad has twice as many viewers and still less pirated, reason being? You can get Breaking Bad from pretty much anywhere for a decent price.

If someone can get media through honest means, then "piracy" IS stealing.

What about that "grey" area? You know, when the legal version you've paid for doesn't play back on a certain device because of DRM or is low quality or a massive file or in a format (such as DVD) that you don't want to / can't use? I can't remember the game, This was 3-4 years ago now, I purchased a game (for the life of me I can't remember what it was) and the DRM on it made it pretty much useless, I downloaded a "Pirated copy" and used that instead. Was I in the wrong? As far as I'm concerned, I wasn't, I had paid my dues but the product provided had an anti-theft system that stopped me from using said item.

Now me pirating Game of Thrones, is a similar situation except I'm trying to vote with my money the platform and price I'm willing to pay, the day it is released on a streaming service in the UK I'll of already paid for it since I'm subscribed to many of them anyway, release it on iTunes for the same price as the Blurays I would still buy it, as long as I have paid for the product, does it matter what version of it I use when I want to watch it on my Tablet? or TV? I've paid for the right to watch said content, why can't I watch said content the way I want?

What about that "grey" area? You know, when the legal version you've paid for doesn't play back on a certain device because of DRM or is low quality or a massive file or in a format (such as DVD) that you don't want to / can't use? I can't remember the game, This was 3-4 years ago now, I purchased a game (for the life of me I can't remember what it was) and the DRM on it made it pretty much useless, I downloaded a "Pirated copy" and used that instead. Was I in the wrong? As far as I'm concerned, I wasn't, I had paid my dues but the product provided had an anti-theft system that stopped me from using said item.
I was painting with a narrow brush, and it certainly wouldn't cover all contingencies of what I consider "fair use". Hell, Best Buy sold me a game that simply wouldn't run. I asked for my money back, and predictably I was refused. I left it at the CS desk, with a few instructions on how I thought the CS reps might put it to "good use".
Now me pirating Game of Thrones, is a similar situation except I'm trying to vote with my money the platform and price I'm willing to pay, the day it is released on a streaming service in the UK
Now stop Burty, we understand. Besides, "admission absolves guilt", is a bull s*** hoax that has been perpetrated by the Roman Catholic Church, pushing 2 millennia now .
I'll of already paid for it since I'm subscribed to many of them anyway, release it on iTunes for the same price as the Blurays I would still buy it, as long as I have paid for the product, does it matter what version of it I use when I want to watch it on my Tablet? or TV? I've paid for the right to watch said content, why can't I watch said content the way I want?
OK, I have 1 meg DSL, locked in for life @ $17.95 USD. Streaming isn't an option for me. With that said, I attach the need for extreme high speed internet, as another penalty charge, for being internet dependent. So,you can't easily copy or store all that you've streamed, and you have nothing but full HDDs and a fixed source to show for it.

And this brings us back to optical media, with with you can work with, "outside the cloud". I won't fire up a 1000 pound sterling computer, to watch something I'd enjoy more, coming from a $60.00 Blu-Ray/DVD player, and a 46" TV.

So, the moral of the story is, if I didn't have access to "GoT", and I were going to "pirate" , it, (which of course, I'm far too moral and fair minded to do..;);););)), I'd download an ISO, and burn it to disc anyway.

(In this case I actually did buy the DVDs, which I really should make time to watch. I hear there's a naked girl that lays dragon eggs, is this true)?

If you'd another example of internet addiction / dependency run amok, go here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...e-u-s-is-now-viewed-on-mobile-devices.198874/

And keep in mind, that since I have a photographic, more so than a computer background, I keep a machine dedicated to vertical monitor positioning. When you come right down to it, more than 50% of art photography", is in the portrait orientation. (I'll spare you the tirade on image height versus aspect ratio).

Last edited:
Out of everything I download.... I actually purchased blu-ray of the Game of Thrones Season Two, because I had already a digital copy of season one, I did not purchase that one. I knew of the special features on the blu-rays and decided that would be helpful in keeping track of what's going on. It's helped, minimally as it is. It's still a fun feature, if I forget who they are talking about or who someone is then I can just find out again really quick. I think I may eventually purchase Season Three.

Back