Game of Thrones (not The Grand Tour) was the most torrented TV show of 2016

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Industry analyst Muso earlier this month labeled Amazon’s new motoring show, The Grand Tour, as the most pirated TV show ever. This was viewed as quite an accomplishment as the show’s first episode seemingly unseated piracy king Game of Thrones by a wide margin.

As it turns out, that apparently isn’t the case at all.

Muso if you recall claimed the first episode of The Grand Tour was downloaded roughly 7.9 million times, a figure that led Chief Commercial Officer Chris Elkins to the conclusion that it was the most downloaded program ever and “off the scale” in terms of volume. Torrent Freak, however, wasn’t buying it.

The publication notes that streaming data from several of the most popular streaming sites placed The Grand Tour behind The Walking Dead, a show that regularly is far less popular than Game of Thrones.

In hopes of seeking clarification, Torrent Freak reached out to Muso. A spokesperson for the firm said that demand analysis across a three-week monitoring period for episodes 1-3 of The Grand Tour placed it as having the highest volume of piracy views for a UK TV show in history as well as the most piracy views in a debut season for a TV show.

With that misunderstanding cleared up, Torrent Freak has proceeded to once again label Game of Thrones the most torrented TV show of 2016. The Walking Dead placed second (just as it did a year ago) with newcomer Westworld securing the bronze on the podium.

Rounding out the top 10, we have The Flash, Arrow, The Big Bang Theory, Vikings, Lucifer, Suits and The Grand Tour, in that order.

Permalink to story.

Nice to know, I am guilty of torrenting most of those; Arrow, Suits, Flash, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, though I somewhat justify it that I pay for the channels they're showed on I just find it inconvenient to sit down and record them and watch them on an actual TV so I download them onto my tablet and watch them at work. (apart from Game of Thrones, but I always buy the blu-ray when they come out).

I can watch Vikings and The Grand Tour via Amazon Prime so no need to torrent those. And aren't TBBT and Lucifer (and even Suits) on Netflix?

With streaming services so cheap and convenient now why do people still torrent the shows available on them?

Nice to know, I am guilty of torrenting most of those; Arrow, Suits, Flash, Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, though I somewhat justify it that I pay for the channels they're showed on I just find it inconvenient to sit down and record them and watch them on an actual TV so I download them onto my tablet and watch them at work. (apart from Game of Thrones, but I always buy the blu-ray when they come out).

I can watch Vikings and The Grand Tour via Amazon Prime so no need to torrent those. And aren't TBBT and Lucifer (and even Suits) on Netflix?

With streaming services so cheap and convenient now why do people still torrent the shows available on them?

you know, if you do indeed pay for the channels they come on, you have access to the streaming services that allow you to watch the shows on demand (such as HBO shows using HBO go). You can sign in directly using your cable TV login info. I believe other channels offer similar streaming sites as well.

Westworld is a fantastic show - easily on par (for it's current longevity) with GoT or TWD in my opinion. If anyone hasn't tried it out yet, it's something to at least check out.

I think torrenting shows you pay for access to is fine so long as you are torrenting the broadcast version. I would not ok torrenting the bluray version unless you owned it.

In Spain we pirate a lot of stuff, but The Grand Tour is included with Premium (aka Prime) from Amazon, so thousands of people are going to stream that show legally now.

I have Netflix, prime, top TV pack with sports and movies, I still have to resort to torrents at times. Although kodi with addons seems very popular with many friends. They really need shake up the business, soon as someone can match content of illegal availabity with a paid legal version with option to pay more to remove ads would get my money. If only it was so simple.

Westworld is a fantastic show - easily on par (for it's current longevity) with GoT or TWD in my opinion. If anyone hasn't tried it out yet, it's something to at least check out.
lol westworld is not anywhere near twd or got. Its barely watchable.

lol westworld is not anywhere near twd or got. Its barely watchable.

Funny, I find TWD and GoT barely watchable, will I find Westworld complete and utter gutter trash? Guess I'll find out when my download is done.

Funny, I find TWD and GoT barely watchable, will I find Westworld complete and utter gutter trash? Guess I'll find out when my download is done.

I do enjoy GoT a bit, although not as much as some. TWD got dull after about season 4 for me.. It didn't seem interesting enough. I'm not a big TV show guy overall, I don't have much free time. If I do watch a show, it's one I like very much.

Back